jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: strings going ‘pop’ in the middle of the night #106679
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’ve heard that unwelcome sound in the middle of the night too.

    in reply to: small,gut strung,pedal tension,and spacing… #72416
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    LOL! I’ve been nudging you not to let go of the cello, but I never expected this outcome! Now I think I have to urge you not to let go of the harp!

    in reply to: Getting a harp… #72386
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Something like the Lyon & Healy Chicago 40, maybe? Keep in mind, though, that if you’re done growing, you’ll have to get used to an orchestral-sized harp sooner or later. My sympathies–I’m just under 5-feet-nothing. Barbara’s advice about consulting your teacher and maybe renting from your teacher is a good one.

    in reply to: Help me choose – please!!!!! #157666
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I think Sylvia Woods’ arrangements are meant to accommodate folks who can’t afford the full 36 strings or levers on every string–you’ll notice that they’re mostly in C or G. Later on you’re likely to want that low C.

    You might want to consider the R-Harps Merlin, which is compact but has 35 strings, including the B below that low C.

    in reply to: Huapango….Tips? #165881
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Huapango as I know it is actually a genre, with a kind of oom-pah. oom,-pah-pah beat.

    in reply to: How old were you when you started playing the harp? #166218
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Nitwit! Me, not you. Just realized you were replying to my earlier post. Look, for someone to want to hand his precious banjo down to you is a compliment, so accept it graciously and hope it’s a 5-string openback (my prejudices are showing). Take it out on the back porch and sing to the moon. If OTOH it’s a resonator banjo, it’s best used for playing bluegrass and the volume approaches that of a tomcat singing to the local ladies.

    in reply to: How old were you when you started playing the harp? #166217
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I play banjo too, but I play different sorts of things (mostly) on the banjo than on the harp. You may lose focus for a while initially while you are getting the banjo basics down, but eventually you should catch up. Keep in mind that guitars and banjos are a heckuva lot easier to transport than most harps, which may be a factor when you just want to take an instrument along to make music in an informal context.

    in reply to: Strange Conducting Stories #148543
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Love that kid!!

    in reply to: Harp Naming #157713
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Thanks!

    in reply to: Style 12 for sale #72521
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Carl, if I had the money, I’d jump at it!

    in reply to: Prefered electronic tuner #72544
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Wouldn’t recommend mine. It’s a bummer in the highest octave.

    in reply to: help please locating a recording of a song #148588
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    You sent me surfing the web for Al Hibbler, whom I associate most with “Unchained Melody.” Found out that he had been with Duke Ellington’s band. BTW one doesn’t hear nearly enough of Duke Ellington on the harp.

    in reply to: harp brought today! #72551
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Every time I cast eyes on the harmonic curve of my 1805/1807 single-action Erard, it lifts my heart. I wish I had those thousands of dollars. Then I go and play my elderly but playable old Troubadour, for which I have affection but not the love I have for the Erard..

    in reply to: Harpists on youtube….. #156692
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Just caught up with this one, being without YouTube for a while. Bravo, Bernhard!

    in reply to: your advice please #148554
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Kare, that’s encouraging. I have kid-size hands and short fingers too. Though from your description of that rolling action, I wonder whether you aren’t throwing your timing off.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 602 total)