harpcolumn

help please locating a recording of a song

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists help please locating a recording of a song

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    adam-b-harris
    Participant

Hi,

I am doing a wedding in a couple of weeks time, and the couple has asked that I play a tune called “He”. Apparently it is some kind of hymn. Does anybody know if there is anywhere on the net I can here this tune so I can work out an arrangement? Everytime that I google He and Hymn it comes up with all the other hymns that contain the word “He”.

thanks,

adam

Do they have a composer and religious tradition for the song?

adam-b-harris
    Participant

No they haven’t thanks Jessica. I haven’t been given any information at all really. However, I just remembered a midi file search engine I used to use years ago and did a search there and it seems to be throwing up the same tune all the time. So I have emailed them a copy for them to confirm or deny. Hopefully its the same tune.

Adam, The song He was copyrighted in 1954 by Avas Music Publishing Company, 250 West 57th St, New York City. Music composed by Jack Richards, words by Richard Mullan. “The lofty, melodious song proved ideal for singer Al Hibbler in 1954, and his recording was a bestseller”. This is from the vocal/piano music of He

I just went to http://www.youtube.com, Adam, and found 4 or 5 people singing or playing this song! Here is the link to Pat Boone singing it with The Lennon Sisters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gghacyxkvrc&feature=related

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Adam,

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Thanks ever so much for all your help. I’ve managed to lay my hands on a copy.

cheers

adam

jan-fetty
    Participant

I found sheet music for “He” at

jessica-wolff
    Participant

You sent me surfing the web for Al Hibbler, whom I associate most with “Unchained Melody.” Found out that he had been with Duke Ellington’s band. BTW one doesn’t hear nearly enough of Duke Ellington on the harp.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

“He” is a great song for church stuff and it’s easy on harp

there’s an easy version and a “hard” version which isn’t hard at all

unknown-user
    Participant

Just checked ebay using he and hibbler – there are 8 copies of the sheet music listed and 26 of the 45rpms he had out – I love ebay- lol

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies