harpcolumn

Harp Naming

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harp Naming

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    harperboy Fuller
    Participant

Hi…I do not know about any harp-naming traditions, but my Merlin is named “Glyssa” (after glissando)…Running one finger or a thumb through the strings is invigorating and relaxing to me…Plus, when I am playing in public and I allow a child (under my careful supervision of course) to gently run the strings Glyssa puts a huge smile on their face…The name seems to fit her well…I also name my vehicles…Mykka is my current chariot – 2 new Mazda 5 with plenty of harp-carrying room…

Angela Biggs

I tend to name my harps. First of all, they’re easier to live with that way, and easier to communicate about. For the same reason, I name my cars, and occasionally household appliances. 🙂

Harps really are special, though. I’ve played many instruments in my life, and I’ve never been in love with any but my harps. My current harp is my first professional-quality instrument, an exquisite Sylvan by Heartland Harps. Naming her was important to me because God started weaving her into my life twelve years before I ever met her; I feel that I need to develop a very deep understanding of her, and even what you might call a relationship if she were alive.

Her name is Áine, which I believe is Irish Gaelic for “praise” or “joy”. She is my magnificent miracle.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Perhaps naming harps or other inanimate objects began with the tradition of naming ships- it is said to be bad luck to not name your boat/ship/sea-faring vessel. And it just branched off from there…

deb-l
    Participant

I wonder if the same people who name their harps hug and/or kiss their harps?

emily-mcintyre
    Participant

I certainly feel affectionate toward my harps, but I haven’t named them. I’ve tried, but the names haven’t stuck. I do find myself stroking my Dusty Strings and occasionally refer to it as a demanding 45-pound baby.

jennifer-lusch
    Participant

I have a single-action pedal harp prototype, made by R Harps, that I’ve nicknamed “Ravensara”.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

What does the experimental Rubarth look like? Pictures, please?

jennifer-lusch
    Participant

I don’t know how to post a picture in the forum, but I uploaded one into my account as my portrait.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Thanks!

eliza-morrison
    Participant

It is only important if it is important to you. It’s kind of like naming a car, or a house–which many people do, and many do not. I named my harp Ceres, but actually I seldom refer to it that way.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies