column

Getting a harp…

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Getting a harp…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ana L. Viste
    Participant

And I’m pretty small. About 5’2″. So what size harp should I get? I’m just starting, and money is a pretty big issue. Should I rent? Purchase? What brands? I would want a pedal harp, since I’m going for classical music and aim to audition for an orchestra in a few years.

Thanks!
    Ana

barbara-brundage
    Participant

What does your teacher say? You do have a teacher, don’t you? If not, start there, since most teachers have harps to rent to their beginning students.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Something like the Lyon & Healy Chicago 40, maybe? Keep in mind, though, that if you’re done growing, you’ll have to get used to an orchestral-sized harp sooner or later. My sympathies–I’m just under 5-feet-nothing. Barbara’s advice about consulting your teacher and maybe renting from your teacher is a good one.

Tacye
    Participant

I am not much taller than you (5’4″) and can play pretty nearly any harp I have tried comfortably.

tony-morosco

My teacher was about the same height as you and she played a Lyon and Healy style 23 concert grand. Your height should not prevent you from playing any size harp you want.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

My teacher, who is tiny, plays a HUGE Salvi, and when she’s playing, she is clearly the master of that great big harp, with magnificent tone to match.

Your teacher is definitely the right person to decide what you should be doing concerning this decision.

Ana L. Viste
    Participant

Great. Thanks everyone!

I haven’t talked to my teacher yet, mainly because I haven’t decided on a teacher. I’ve narrowed it down to two, but it seems like I should get a teacher first then a harp. I figured I’d need a harp before a teacher.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

It’s understandable that you’d think that, but really life is simpler if you do it the other way around. Good luck to you!

tony-morosco

What Barbara said.

I made the mistake of getting a harp first. It took me all of a month of lessons before I ended up getting a different harp. I could have saved myself both money and time if I had gotten the teacher first and had her help me pick a harp in the first place.

I still have that second harp. Although I have others now that one is still a great harp and I still play it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.