Help me choose – please!!!!!

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #157657

OK…I have to choose – I want to play Celtic music mostly…..so 32 or 36 string harp?

I have looked through the sheet music (Syliva Wood’s Celtic books) I have and can’t see that bottom C used very often at all. Sooooo, if I play mostly celtic, will I need it? Newbie to music theory as well….so need some advice based on your experience please. Thanks so much – this forum has helped me a lot, both as poster and lurker.

Participant
    Paul and Brenda on #157658

We like 33 or 34 strings.

Participant
    poppy-rose on #157659

I wouldn’t buy anything less than 34 strings. I’ve only been playing for a little less than 3 years, and I would say that within the first year, I was needing that low C. you can find lots of music written for less strings, but with 34 strings, you never need to concern yourself with it. don’t limit yourself now, it will surprise you how fast you can progress if you really want to learn, and practice

Keymaster
    HBrock25 on #157660

Hi Neptune Neptune,

Our range of

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #157661

If you’re really into sound, there’s also the added importance of the sympathetic C when you play middle C.

Participant
    mahtab mosavibarab on #157662

Hi Neptune Neptune

If you don’t have a budget problem go for 36 string. you never regret having more strings.

I’m self teaching my self and use the same book( which is a really good one)

tony-morosco on #157663

You probably will eventually want to expand your repertoire beyond the Sylvia Woods Books. They are excellent books and I have almost all of them. But eventually you are going to want to play something not in them, or you are going to want to expand on what she wrote, or do your own arrangements.

Or you may eventually decide you want to play something other than Celtic music.

In any of those cases you will be very happy to have as many strings as you can get.

I don’t ever recall anyone complaining that they had too many strings, only not enough.

Of my lever harps I have a 34 string acoustic and a 30 string electric. I love my electric harp, but I often find myself wishing it went lower.

34 – 36 strings seems a good range. Less than that and I think that you will eventually wish you had something with more strings.

Participant
    harpglo-jean on #157664

I also agree, 34-36 strings..(the more strings the better!!) And, a great value harp, depending upon if you’re in the U.S., is the Dusty Strings Ravenna 34 string harp..it has a wonderful tone and a drop-down leg for portability.…Good Luck!

Participant
    holly-kemble on #157665

I own a 36 string Aberdeen Meadows, with a range of C to C. If I had to do it all over again…I would have chosen A to A

Participant
    jessica-wolff on #157666

I think Sylvia Woods’ arrangements are meant to accommodate folks who can’t afford the full 36 strings or levers on every string–you’ll notice that they’re mostly in C or G. Later on you’re likely to want that low C.

You might want to consider the R-Harps Merlin, which is compact but has 35 strings, including the B below that low C.

Participant
    shelby-m on #157667

I second Gloria’s recommendation for a DS Ravenna 34.

Participant
    John McK on #157668

I will make an argument for a smaller harp: if you want to play fast Irish dance tunes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.