jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: harp brought today! #72548
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The value is not very much, sad to say, UNLESS it’s in good condition cosmetically or functionally. If you have one that looks good and plays well, you have something quite wonderful. I love them.

    in reply to: Harp Naming #157711
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    What does the experimental Rubarth look like? Pictures, please?

    in reply to: why do you play the harp? #106616
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    That too. And it takes me out of time and space.

    in reply to: Are you addicted to the harp forum? #106781
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, I visit once or twice a day.

    in reply to: Harpists on youtube….. #156688
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I thought the dancer was awful. Not her technique, but the dance itself.

    in reply to: have you ever kissed your harp? #106868
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Ah! I loved that ebony-&-bronze finish.

    in reply to: Obituary for a Heroic Harpist #106811
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    An admirable woman.

    in reply to: multi instrumentalists – how do you do it? #106838
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, good. The other Jessica’s plan of alternating instruments on alternate days is a good one. If you feel the need to give more time to the cello for a while, then give an hour here and there to the harp–not formal practice, just playing for the fun of it, to keep a hand in. Ultimately I think you’ll really enjoy the two instruments you’ve chosen.

    in reply to: have you ever kissed your harp? #106860
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Ah! Thou hast hit on it!

    in reply to: multi instrumentalists – how do you do it? #106836
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Nope, a different Jessica. When I appealed to you not to stop playing the cello, I didn’t mean you should drop the harp in favor of the cello. If it’s a question of family life getting in the way of practice time, explain to the family that you have a deep emotional need to play both instruments and that you need the time to do both of them justice (especially since you say that they’ve teased you in the past).

    Incidentally, my daughter was indeed joking. She’s only too happy to have me play the harp instead of the banjo, which she regards as not very classy. That is, of course, why I like it. Well, I mean the earthiness of it.

    I play some things on both harp and guitar and others on both guitar and banjo, but hey! no reason I can’t play “Old Joe Clark” on both banjo and harp.

    in reply to: Replaced by a harp! #106906
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Hurray!

    in reply to: Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011 #106706
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I mean “Waltzing Cat.”

    in reply to: Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011 #106705
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Of the three cats I had a few years ago, some walked away and one stayed to listen. Cats have very acute hearing; they may react badly to higher pitches. I am currently in touch with Maine Coon rescue and hope to find a music-loving cat.

    And I’ll see if I can find that cat waltz.

    in reply to: Embarrassment? #157770
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, I can’t understand why anyone should regard you as a loser for playing the harp. I regarded it as a great triumph when I finally acquired a harp after years of longing for one. (Not that I love the guitar less…..)

    in reply to: Favorite Folk Music Arranger #106923
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, no. I wouldn’t call early or Baroque music traditional in the folk sense even if the composer isn’t known. Exception: Greensleeves.

    Tony justifies “Ashokan Farewell” for what I would consider good reasons: it’s not old, and therefore not traditional, but it’s folklike. I’ve been playing it on the harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 602 total)