harpcolumn

Strange Conducting Stories

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Strange Conducting Stories

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    kreig-kitts

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite Frasier episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftjp5f3CieU

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Thank you very much Kreig – you just made my year.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I can’t imagine how I missed this- I thought I had watched every Frasier twice.
    Who’s the harpist?

shelby-m
    Participant

Well, mine isn’t nearly as funny as everybody else’s, but when I used to play (flute) in the community orchestra, the conductor would stop us every 20 bars or so and tell us how to play it better. I think we only managed to play the pieces all the way through in one go at the dress rehearsal!

rosalind-beck
    Participant

I might be mistaken, but she appears to be an actress playing the role of a harpist.

harp guy
    Participant

Here’s one from a friend of mine (oboist). A conductor was doing a choir and orchestra piece. While rehearsing the choir specifically she stood in the middle (between the choir and orchestra). The concertmaster gave the downbeat so everyone could play.

It’s a standard orchestra, right? (yes).

She kept asking (in her particularly snooty british accent) for ‘More Saxophone!’

Sylvia Clark

Re: Kreig’ post.

I’m pretty sure Frasier used an actual harpist who actually played, if it’s the scene in his apartment, with the harp by the grand piano.

That Frasier clip is hilarious.

My favorite quote from a rehearsal,
    “The singers might use a different tempo, but we’ll try to meet at the end.”

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Looks like it’s supposed to be a recording studio.

kreig-kitts

Yes, it’s an episode where the station personalities have to come up with jingles for their shows, and of course Frasier goes overboard, composes a huge piece, then hires a chorus and orchestra for it and unleashes his inner Toscanini.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Not exactly a strange conducting story but worth a look if you haven’t already seen it…..

http://www2.choralnet.org/268945.html

cheers

adam

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

I

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Love that kid!!

kay-lister

LOVE IT!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies