harpcolumn

How old were you when you started playing the harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists How old were you when you started playing the harp?

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Norah Calamy

I was 14 I think. 🙂 I feel old compared to others here.

Louis Venus

11 but i played the piano since i was 6

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Well, I’m ancient, but…let’s see, started guitar in the early ’60s, harp in the late ’70s, and banjo in the mid-’90s. Long hiatuses on all three instruments, which certainly keeps you from making a lot of progress, but I always get back to them. The three instruments interfere with one another to some extent, but only as much as, say, one Romance language with another. On the whole I think they help more than they hinder.

HBrock25
    Participant

I started lever harp when I was 8. When I was 13 I started taking lessons from a pedal harpist. I had to change a lot of my bad habits and relearn some things. Before you play an instrument, be sure and find a really good teacher (I agree with Saul and Anne). That way you will learn to play well from the very beginning and won’t have to retrace your steps.

lauren-d
    Participant

That is really interesting.. I’m 18 now and started harp about a half a year ago, but my uncle has offered to give me his beautiful banjo, and I wondered if it would be a good idea to start playing it, seeing as it might make me lose focus on my harp. Thanks for posting that!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I play banjo too, but I play different sorts of things (mostly) on the banjo than on the harp. You may lose focus for a while initially while you are getting the banjo basics down, but eventually you should catch up. Keep in mind that guitars and banjos are a heckuva lot easier to transport than most harps, which may be a factor when you just want to take an instrument along to make music in an informal context.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Nitwit! Me, not you. Just realized you were replying to my earlier post. Look, for someone to want to hand his precious banjo down to you is a compliment, so accept it graciously and hope it’s a 5-string openback (my prejudices are showing). Take it out on the back porch and sing to the moon. If OTOH it’s a resonator banjo, it’s best used for playing bluegrass and the volume approaches that of a tomcat singing to the local ladies.

william-nichols
    Participant

I know this might sound like a lie but I started when i was 4. I am now 13. so i have been playing the harp for 9 years.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies