How old were you when you started playing the harp?

Posted In: Young Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #166167

I started playing when I was 7, and was curious to find out when most
    people start playing.

Participant
    unknown-user on #166168

My father plays the Paraguayan folk harp, so I started learning that at the age of 3. I continued playing by ear until the age of 12, and then in high school I began the pedal harp. Interesting question!

Participant
    unknown-user on #166169

I was 13 when I started playing Irish harp, but I had already been playing piano and violin since about 7, and picked it up really easily.

Participant
    unknown-user on #166170

I started playing at 13. I played the piano, cello, and violin before the harp, but now I’m just sticking with the harp.

Participant
    unknown-user on #166171

I started playing the harp when I was 8.

Participant
    unknown-user on #166172

I began playing the harp when I was nine years old, but I played piano for three years before that. I absolutely love harp, and I plan to make my career out of it:)!!

Participant
    unknown-user on #166173

I began at the age of five.
    first I played the celtic then the paraguay harp and now I’m playing
    the pedal harp

Nadia Tjahja

Participant
    unknown-user on #166174

I started at age 8, but I took piano for three years first. I think it greatly helps your ability to progress fast on the harp if you have piano lessons (and lessons on other instruments) beforehand. I am 16 now and I want to continue to pursue harp in college.

Participant
    unknown-user on #166175

i started the pedal harp when I was 7, but i took piano lessons for 6 months beforehand at the suggestion of my harp teacher. i am 14 now and want to take harp in college and make it my life.

Participant
    unknown-user on #166176

I guess I may be out of place here, but I started playing the harp this year at the ripe old age of 32!

Participant
    unknown-user on #166177

I have started this year at the age of 16, but I had already studied piano and flute 4 many years so I am quite skillfull and I really enjoy it

Participant
    unknown-user on #166178

In response to RoseEllen who is not the only non- “Young Harpist” by actual age reading this column, I started at the tender age of 33 and now I’m 34.

Participant
    unknown-user on #166179

I’ve been learning harp since i was about 8 (i am now 14), i instantly loved the sound after i heard it on a recording…i was bugging my parents within the hour…

Participant
    susan-krysiak on #166180

I started harp lessons when I was 8 years old. Later on when I was in junior high school, I realized that playing the harp made me “special”. At that time in many students’ lives, practicing an instrument becomes tedious and uncool, but because my harp and I were starting to get the boys’ attention, I decided I would stick with it! I also had an excellent teacher (Laura Erb) and grew up with many friends who were fellow student harpists. I am now 52, and the harp has always been a big part of my life. No matter what else I did (raised a child, worked jobs, etc.), I always played the harp. A few years ago, I discovered therapeutic music, became a Certified Music Practitioner and now play a lap harp at the bedside of those who are ill, injured and dying. I also continue to play

Participant
    unknown-user on #166181

good question! i was actually 9. today, im just turning 13.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.