Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
HBrock25
ParticipantHey everyone!
I have a close friend that wants to become a harpist, she’s 16 years old now.
She would like to have some feedback from other harpists all over the world, and this forum seems perfect for this! 🙂
she has two videos uploaded on YouTube for the moment, they were filmed in February:– Baroque Flamenco (composed by Deborah Henson-Conant)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meo_IEhp8f0– El Viejo Castillo moro (composed by Chavarri)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBwDoqdCqY&feature=relatedHBrock25
ParticipantHello Dear
HBrock25
ParticipantHello Cheryl, I just registered today on here and am so excited about this site. What a great way to learn things. I, like you, am fairly new to the harp world. I just got my Blevins Sonata 36 string a few weeks ago. I signed up for a local 8 week class, which I just finished
HBrock25
ParticipantI and several of my friends have bought Venus harps, and have been extremely happy with the harps, and the company as well. I would encourage you to visit Lyon and Healy and Venus, (they are both in Chicago) and pick the harp that best fits you.
HBrock25
ParticipantSorry, I can’t shed any light on “My Heart’s in the Highlands”.
I have performed the “In Ireland” in a flute-harp version adapted from the flute-piano version. A bit tricky and needs some rewriting in places. I have a recording of the orchestral version, it’s really more a solo for flute with harp as a member of the orchestra. It is quite lovely but rather short so may not appeal to programmers looking for a flute concerto.
HBrock25
ParticipantKelly,
Just saw your post. I think the collection you are referring to is by Jim Palmer. harpistic publications His web site is http://harpisticpublications.com. (660) 582-2511. He also has a cd that he has recorded of these arrangements It is a great collection Sally Duran
HBrock25
ParticipantDear Ms/Sir
we would like to introduce ourselves as exporters, manufactures and suppliers of all types of musical instruments especially harps, drums, bodhrans, trumpets ets. we had started our business as supplier of musical instruments since 1990
we are registered members of following business/trade authorities and organizations
1. ce standard of musical instruments, ( ce )
2. chamber of commerce and industry. ( scci )
now we would like to supply you with our highly efficient quality instruments we want to
serve you with our esteemed services
we sure we can get an opportunity to become your regular supplier.
waiting for your nice reply and confirmation of our company and samples request.
Kind Regards.
M.Qadeer
Director.
The great music & co
Gunjianwali khurd, sialkot Pakistan.
Tell +92-3446365100
HBrock25
ParticipantI own a Silhouette. Great harp! I have never tried the Camac but several professionals have said that the tension is more loose on the strings. They prefer the Silhouette.
Silhouette has a great sound. It’s hard to find video examples on the web. I just added one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALde3zu5ys
The part I found surprising when I strapped it on was that the weight is all on your legs. The strap is designed well, so even though it is 16 lbs, very little of it is on your upper body. I also own a harpsicle and even though it is about 4 lbs, it can weigh on your chest making it hard to sing if you have to do so.
This is probably an old post but hopefully it helps future purchasers of the Silhouette. I had a hard time trying to get anecdotal information.
HBrock25
ParticipantHi David,
I was just asked to play this at a wedding.
HBrock25
ParticipantMeg – Just a couple of quick notes. First, I received my PhD in Physics from MIT and I’m not sure where you get your information on physics but I have a feeling MIT is probably a higher source and since I wrote the article from which you are quoting, though you failed to mention me in your comment, you may want to reconsider your knowledge base. Sound, from any stringed instrument, does not come from the string, it comes from the air oscillated by the soundboard as it vibrates against your eardrum. Soundboards, again, in any stringed instrument, do not act on a single frequency. Guitars, violins, harps – it’s all the same in terms of the physics of the soundboard function. Wave canceling occurs when one part of a soundboard is moving in a manner which is in direct opposition to another part of the soundboard – mathematically. It’s easy to see with the proper sensing equipment or, as luthiers have done it for hundreds of years, with sand. Asymmetrical soundboards, when done properly with an understanding of the math involved, eliminate the possibility of wave canceling entirely. That is why violin and guitar luthiers have been doing it for generations. Look inside any violin or guitar and the bracing is a testamet to the long held knowledge, by luthiers, that wave canceling is not a positive attribute and can happen to any imporperly made stringed instrument.
HBrock25
ParticipantHi Neptune Neptune,
Our range of
HBrock25
ParticipantThere is nice frameless laser harp controller which can be connected to standard ILDA laser projector with high power laser, and there is no problem to see the beams any more. You can find info on: http://www.laser-harp.com.
You can also see nice combination of classic and laser harp together in action.HBrock25
ParticipantHello,
I am an Australian harpist and more recently, a Salvi factory trained technician. I have worked on all brands both in and out of the factory.
Personally, I have always played a Venus harp – Classic Concert Grand. My Father chose this harp when I was 11 so I had no say in it, but he spent months researching all brands and says he chose the Venus due to aesthetics, reputation and PRICE. The Venus is without a doubt the best value. I have not had a SINGLE problem with my Venus in 17 YEARS. No buzzing, no clicks, no problems with pedals or the mechanism. Harpists constantly tell me how warm and large my sound is – I like to think that has something to do with my playing
but I have heard it said about other Venus harps too.I studied at the A.N.U School of Music with Alice Giles, so during the day practised on the university’s two Salvi Dianas but always brought my own harp in for performances because I preferred the sound quality. I do not say this as a brand debate but rather a personal opinion about my harp.
I also found the spacing on the Salvis (particularly in the bass) to be narrower which resulted in more buzzing. If you’re a dainty “french technique” player this probably won’t be an issue. If you’re a Salzedo player which Aussies and Americans predominantly are, you’ll need a harp you can rip into, therefore less risk of buzzing will be invaluable to you and I believe Venus harps have slighter wider dimensions in the bass.
I spent 7 months training in the Salvi factory. For a start, these harps are out of my budget and as I’m so happy with Venus I would not think to consider spending more money in order to get a Salvi. Their craftsmen, technicians, design engineers and even office staff are 100% passionate and dedicated to the factory. They are total perfectionists actually which I was delighted to see. Piasco (the town where the Salvi factory is located) is very proud of this factory and virtually every family has a member who works there.
L&H dominates the Australian market – not because they are superior instruments (although I believe the 23 and Salzedo models are awesome) but because they have a kick a** marketing team. Venus do virtually no marketing here in Australia. Salvi do, but L&H are like the coca cola of the harp world.
Factor in warranties and where you would need to ship your harp or mechanism back to in case a fault occurs. How often does the factory send technicians out, what is covered by the warranty… all of these questions should be addressed before choosing a “brand” of harp whether it be L&H, Salvi, Venus, Camac, Aoyama or whatever other brand is out there.
HBrock25
ParticipantHi,
I saw here that you plan to sell your County Kerry 24. How much do you plan to sell it for? I’m looking to buy a harp on a budget, and I’ve been looking at the Noteworthy County Kerry as one of my options.
HBrock25
ParticipantHi, I’m Italian and I think there’s a print error as “raghezza” doesn’t exist, “ragazzo” means boy and “raggiare” doesn’t exist but correct translation is “irradiare”, as I don’t have this sheet music (I’m a beginner with harp) I think you should ignore this word and play as you feel the music. I hope I’ve helped you (sorry if
-
AuthorPosts