harpcolumn

Are Venus Harps as good as Lyon & Healy?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Are Venus Harps as good as Lyon & Healy?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    joan-steinberg
    Participant

I also have a Venus Prodigy that I bought in fall of 2005, and I use it for my gig instrument.

Yes, I pass through there also, but have only seen piano plyers.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi, Jerusha:

I play there three days a week – usually Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. I share the space with another harpist. We are either in front of RADIO ROAD or MINNESOTA. Stop by and say hi.

unknown-user
    Participant

Pianists and harpists are always in the airport mall of the main terminal. Keep and eye open for us. Stop and say hi.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Pat,

I’m usually there every few years to visit family, but I will look for you the next time that I’m in town!

Does the airport actually pay you to play?

unknown-user
    Participant

I have been a harp teacher for more than 20 years, and I have students who have harps of every shape and kind.

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Hi Laura,

I’m just curious, if you don’t mind sharing.

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Hi Briggsie,

I know this is a little late, but I was just going through this thread (again) and came across your post relating to pianos.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

<>

I’ve owned two Salvis, rented one, and played on one for lessons for many years, and none of these could be characterized as having a sharp sound, when new or old.

Sandra Wang-Harris
    Participant

Janelle,

Is is true that many of the parts of Lyon and Healy harps are now coming from China?

Venus pedal harps are wonderful. In fact, they are the ONLY pedal harps that I have bought in many years (I have another one on order as I write this.) Many people do not realize that Venus harps are based on old Lyon & Healy designs from the 1930s and 1940s.

Venus harps are very attractive and they have many, many styles from which to choose. Their harps have a beautiful tone…..in fact, the Venus tone sets them apart from their competitors, in my opinion. The company owners also take a personal interest in every harp ordered and supervise the entire process.

Having said that, harps are as individual as automobiles. What I might find enticing in a harp, another harpist may abhor.

I recommend (1) going to an AHS conference and playing every pedal harp on the floor and decide for yourself and/or (2) go to Chicago and tour both the Venus factory and the Lyon & Healy factory, and play the harps at both places.

Then, make your own decision.

Darhon

What I was told at the factory is that the Chicago harps are made out of solid pieces of wood rather than laminated layers. It is less labor-intensive that

These two brands you mention

HBrock25
    Participant

Hello,

I am an Australian harpist and more recently, a Salvi factory trained technician. I have worked on all brands both in and out of the factory.

Personally, I have always played a Venus harp – Classic Concert Grand. My Father chose this harp when I was 11 so I had no say in it, but he spent months researching all brands and says he chose the Venus due to aesthetics, reputation and PRICE. The Venus is without a doubt the best value. I have not had a SINGLE problem with my Venus in 17 YEARS. No buzzing, no clicks, no problems with pedals or the mechanism. Harpists constantly tell me how warm and large my sound is – I like to think that has something to do with my playing ;-) but I have heard it said about other Venus harps too.

I studied at the A.N.U School of Music with Alice Giles, so during the day practised on the university’s two Salvi Dianas but always brought my own harp in for performances because I preferred the sound quality. I do not say this as a brand debate but rather a personal opinion about my harp.

I also found the spacing on the Salvis (particularly in the bass) to be narrower which resulted in more buzzing. If you’re a dainty “french technique” player this probably won’t be an issue. If you’re a Salzedo player which Aussies and Americans predominantly are, you’ll need a harp you can rip into, therefore less risk of buzzing will be invaluable to you and I believe Venus harps have slighter wider dimensions in the bass.

I spent 7 months training in the Salvi factory. For a start, these harps are out of my budget and as I’m so happy with Venus I would not think to consider spending more money in order to get a Salvi. Their craftsmen, technicians, design engineers and even office staff are 100% passionate and dedicated to the factory. They are total perfectionists actually which I was delighted to see. Piasco (the town where the Salvi factory is located) is very proud of this factory and virtually every family has a member who works there.

L&H dominates the Australian market – not because they are superior instruments (although I believe the 23 and Salzedo models are awesome) but because they have a kick a** marketing team. Venus do virtually no marketing here in Australia. Salvi do, but L&H are like the coca cola of the harp world.

Factor in warranties and where you would need to ship your harp or mechanism back to in case a fault occurs. How often does the factory send technicians out, what is covered by the warranty… all of these questions should be addressed before choosing a “brand” of harp whether it be L&H, Salvi, Venus, Camac, Aoyama or whatever other brand is out there.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

That made me smile, “dainty French technique” and Salzedo players needing a harp they can rip into-but you better duck.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies