harpcolumn

My Heart’s in the Highlands

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break My Heart’s in the Highlands

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

There is a piece listed for many years as a harp solo, My Heart’s in the Highlands, by Hamilton Harty. It has also been unavailable for many years in the U.S. I wonder if any of our British friends are familiar with it and can describe it. Is it a simple setting, a new composition, a concert solo arrangement? Also, he wrote In Ireland for flute, harp and orchestra, which I’m rather amazed has not been taken up by many people, as he was a major musical figure.

jennifer-rehfisch
    Participant

There is a Robert Burns song of the same title.

I just discovered he also wrote two solo Preludes for the harp.

A version of “My Heart’s in the Highlands” is listed in Sylvia Woods 52 Scottish Songs for All Harps

Tacye
    Participant

His

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Sorry, I can’t shed any light on “My Heart’s in the Highlands”.

I have performed the “In Ireland” in a flute-harp version adapted from the flute-piano version. A bit tricky and needs some rewriting in places. I have a recording of the orchestral version, it’s really more a solo for flute with harp as a member of the orchestra. It is quite lovely but rather short so may not appeal to programmers looking for a flute concerto.

Thanks for the insight. It is so hard to tell from a simple listing what the content is like.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.