Pedal Harps

Posted In: Young Harpists

• Keymaster
    HBrock25 on #166133

Hi,

I am planning on purchasing a pedal harp, possibly a Salvi or a Venus, and I was wondering what pedal harp brand has the most “full” sound. I dislike tinny harps, and do not want to buy one that sounds fine in the store, but I later discover that the upper octaves are jarring.

Thanks!

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #166134

My first choice is generally Lyon and Healy, but I haven’t heard the Apollo. Salvi’s generally have a much darker tone.

Participant
    unknown-user on #166135

If you already have a notion of what you want your harp to sound like, then you must be prepared to put a lot of time into seeking out the harp that has those qualities – the other part of that equation is the tone that you will produce on a given harp with your own fingers and playing style – I guess you can think of the search as part of the journey –
    have fun –
    John

Participant
    william-nichols on #166136

Hello.

I recommend a Lyon and Healy from Chicago. I just got one and it is great. It has a beautiful tone and it looks stunning. Its called a chicago concert grand extended. The only down side is it is extremely heavy. But other than that it is great. Good luck!

Keymaster
    HBrock25 on #166137

I and several of my friends have bought Venus harps, and have been extremely happy with the harps, and the company as well. I would encourage you to visit Lyon and Healy and Venus, (they are both in Chicago) and pick the harp that best fits you.

Participant
    harp guy on #166138

I don’t really feel that it is relevant to say which company has the ‘most full sound.’ All reputable harps make great instruments and all reputable companies make lemons as well. You have to try them in order to decide what you like.

One of the best harps I have ever heard was a Salvi Diana. That harp was one of the earlier ones produced in that line, and it was simply glorious.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.