Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
HBrock25
ParticipantHi Anna! I’m Anna too

I live in Italy, and I understand what you mean about prices of DustyStrings and Lyon&Healy.HBrock25
ParticipantI don’t like Perfomance levers at all, they make the strings broke earlier than other levers.
I like the sound, but it hasn’t got enough sustain, as for me.
HBrock25
ParticipantIt seems that the Internet should be a great resource to learn about new music, as well as, or in conjunction with traditional methods such as sheet music stores, libraries and catalogues or reference books. On the web you’ve got personal websites of composers that you would have to probably rely on a search engine to pick up if you didn’t already know who they were. There are also websites of national composers’ agencies etc.
I wrote a trio for flute, viola and harp in 2004 called “Terrestrial Mirror” and naturally as composer I feel that it’s worth learning! But no doubt your question is directed to other harpists to get their opinions on repertoire they’ve been in contact with. The good news (for me) is that my trio is going to be performed and recorded soon by a group with a professional harpist (Delphine Latil) and flutist (Paolo Vignaroli). In fact I put the group together myself and will play viola in it, as it seemed that the work wasn’t going to get performed otherwise.
I’m interested though in the broader question of how players connect up with new music. There are times when it seems to me that there are more composers writing new music than there are performers willing to play it. As a viola player I frequent several stringed instrument forums where it seems 99% of the contributors are only interested in the traditional classical repertoire.
I could certainly have got my trio published by a publisher but that raises certain questions such as; is this the best publishing option, and, is this someone that’s going to promote it well and really get many more performances than I could in actively searching myself, as I’ll be signing away a share of the performing rights? I realise of course that if it’s not published it might not be considered valid music in some quarters. But from what’s been said here, publication itself doesn’t necessarily mean lots of players will get to know about it.
So in the meantime the score and parts for “Terrestrial Mirror” are sitting on my site and can be freely downloaded by anyone interested in playing it. I enjoyed reading “A RANT” – I’ve always thought that having a one-hour discussion with an instrumentalist over their instrument is worth many hours of reading instrumentation texts. My own composing style is quite chromatic, so concerning my own trio, rehearsing in a group with harp and getting constant feedback was really essential to the writing process.
HBrock25
ParticipantHi there,
I am a string orchestra teacher blessed to have two wonderful harpists – one each in my middle and high school orchestras. I have a very difficult time finding music that is appropriate level (my high school orch is small at 19 players and mostly freshman/middle school level) that includes an actual harp part. Could you email me your list of harp parts?
Here’s my email: karen@sweetcello.com
Thank you!
HBrock25
ParticipantI suffered very bad fingers from playing the harp and tried many shelf products, in the end it was a a local product that did the trick called ‘gardeners balm’ i think it contains beeswax and other essential oils but have had nothing like it before applied it a couple of times daily before and after practicing and healed up within 3 days.
The website is http://www.gardenersbalm.co.uk/
HBrock25
ParticipantThis is such an incredibly frustrating situation!!
HBrock25
ParticipantGreat!
How do you feel about sending a copy to norway? I ll wire you the money in advance. I just dont know how much it would be.
Merry Christmas! Kjersti
HBrock25
ParticipantHi Nina,
If you contact American Harp Journal editor you can buy copies of all old issues.
About C.P.E.Bach, I have the Jane Weidensaul’s edition and there is quite an interesting explanation about how to play the ornaments and how Bach wrote about them. Maybe it helps you.By the way I’m looking for information about Russian harp school for my research. Could you recommend me some books about it? I would like to have a method, it could be in russian, with pictures of hands, so that I can see the differences between for example french method and russian method. Do you know where could I buy such a method or book?
HBrock25
ParticipantLaura and everybody,
You all have GOT to check out this person’s web-site. They make some of the most beautiful harps and instruments by hand that you ever saw. The craftsman is a scholar on all forms of harp: I’m sure that he could help. Try it: http://www.folcharp.com
HBrock25
ParticipantHi !
I’ve just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.__________________
Watch The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Online FreeHBrock25
ParticipantHi,
HBrock25
ParticipantThe skin on my thumbs and fingertips started cracking, splitting, and bleeding in my early teens; I’m 55 now, so I’ve suffered through 40 winters of near-daily pain. I never met anyone else with this problem until the Internet came along (thank God). I don’t work with my hands or outdoors for a living, which eliminates harsh weather, newsprint, paper money ink, plastics, musical instruments, or gymnastics as causes. I’ve always eaten healthy diet with fish, olive and other oils, lots of water, scant caffeine and wine, no drugs (prescription or otherwise), never smoked, never overweight, floss, exercise nearly daily, no health ailments–all the stuff we’re supposed to do, right?
Like my fellow sufferers, I’ve tried everything, including several (useless) dermatologists. (Below is a list cobbled together from memory of tried-and-failed treatments.)*
Not incidentally, it turned out, I used to suffer from chronic canker sores. Then, purely by accident, I discovered the cause of both problems. On an extended camping trip, the russack with the soap, shampoo, and detergent got lost, and we had to make due with baking soda. We washed our bodies, hair, teeth, and dishes with it. Bingo! My cracked fingertips healed and my canker sores disappears within days! As an added bonus, my skin became super soft and I didn’t need a moisturizer, and my baby-fine, stick-straight, tangle-prone hair developed some body and combed easily!
I’ve washed everything with baking soda ever since–with modifications; for example, I rinse my hair with diluted apple cider vinegar, and mostly brush my teeth with either Trader Joe’s or baby toothpaste (b. soda is too harsh on enamel for daily use). But I still don’t need a moisturizer! I wash dishes with b. soda and white vinegar–and no gloves.
The culprits behind my cracked fingertips was sodium laurel suflate, PEG, and ingredients with “eth” in them. The culprits behind my canker sores were toothpastes with the above and fluoride.
Try it and see if it doesn’t clear up for your problems, too! Meanwhile, for pain (finger, mouth, even zits) the hands-down best things are a drop of tea tree essential oil or oil of clove (available health foods stores and Walmart).
*(Vaseline, A & D Ointment, Zims Crack Cream, No Crack Super Hand Cream, Nexcare Skin Crack Care, Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, Acid Mantle Cream, New Skin, Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion, Nivea Cream, Bag Balm, Utter Balm, Chapped Heal Cream, Gloves In A Bottle, TheraSeal hand Protection, Split Finger Treatment Cream, New Skin, Super Glue, Lotil Cream, Blistex, Carmex, Rex-Eme Creme, AmLactin, anti-fungl cream, Burt’s Bees Hand Creme, Bacitracin/Polysporin/Neosporin & Band-aids/moleskin, Vicks VapoRub, petroleum jelly, mineral oil, glycerin alone & in combination, various types of lanolin & cotton gloves nightly, increasing vitamins A, C, D, E, Flaxseed oil, Cod liver oil, L-Lysine, doubling water intake, eating more extra virgin olive oil, fish; humidifier.)
HBrock25
ParticipantDear Laura,
I own and play a Hummingbird 29 string.
HBrock25
ParticipantBeautiful blog with great informational content. Mostly Certifications related topics are related and out & about really very good…
HBrock25
ParticipantAdrianna, how did things work out?
-
AuthorPosts