harpcolumn

Silhouette

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Silhouette

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Miriam C.
    Participant

Does anyone own an Lyon and Healy Silhouette?

I’m looking into purchasing an electric lever harp and would like any feedback anyone has on it.

katerina
    Participant

I bought one yesterday from http://www.lyonhealy.de in Remagen. Very good harp! Lightweight (but the additional stand for it is near 4 kg), portable, nice designed. Sound is VERY good. Nice levers, string tenzion is medium – so, it`s comfortable to play, – they use gut strings. Fully convinient harp. Amp section…. vell, you��ll never have “vijuuuuuoooooouuuu” in concerts :-). Other

Anna Also
    Participant

I was also looking at the Silhouette… Does anyone know how it compares to the Camac Blue 30 string harp?
    ~Thanks

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Dear,

I recomend the Silhouette Harp, is very very beautiful in sound, is some heavy in weight but really have a very beautifull sound… I have one, it is Silverm and the sound… is… magic with a some effect as reverbs, chorus, flanger, distort and more!…

Please visit http://www.myspace.com/athycontemporaryharpercomposer and listen my composition Indigo Profundo, I play this piece with my Silver Silhouette…

Hugs and good luck!

From Argentina!
    Athy 🙂

HBrock25
    Participant

I own a Silhouette. Great harp! I have never tried the Camac but several professionals have said that the tension is more loose on the strings. They prefer the Silhouette.

Silhouette has a great sound. It’s hard to find video examples on the web. I just added one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALde3zu5ys

The part I found surprising when I strapped it on was that the weight is all on your legs. The strap is designed well, so even though it is 16 lbs, very little of it is on your upper body. I also own a harpsicle and even though it is about 4 lbs, it can weigh on your chest making it hard to sing if you have to do so.

This is probably an old post but hopefully it helps future purchasers of the Silhouette. I had a hard time trying to get anecdotal information.

dawn-penland
    Participant

What kind of amp do you use with your Silhouette?

Miriam C.
    Participant

Dawn,

I use a Peavey Envoy 110 with my Silhouette. It is small and easy to transport which I’ve found to be important. It has great volume if I’m playing by myself or with a small group, but I find it can get a little lost in a larger venue (like a bar/club). The clarity of sound is excellent due to the TransTube technology. If you are still looking, I would take your harp to a good amp store and try several amps. Like any solid body instrument, the Silhouette’s quality of tone and texture will vary from amp to amp.

Hope this helps 🙂

dawn-penland
    Participant

Thanks Miriam, I bought a couple amps already.

shelby-m
    Participant

I know this is an old post, but my teacher just bought a Silhouette and he let me try it out so I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents.

Firstly, let me say that for a harp that doesn’t have much of a soundboard, it has a huge sound.

Does anyone know what the Silhouette harp is made of? I know the new Camacs are carbon fiber but I can’t find any details on Lyon Healy’s website.

Hi,
    It’s made of maple wood which is then painted and varnished.

Sounds like the Camacs might be more durable! Thanks for letting me know!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies