harpcolumn

Con raghezza?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Con raghezza?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what “con raghezza” means? I tried looking it up in my music dictionary and then in an italian-english dictionary, but nothing turned up. 🙁

~Sam

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Are you sure it’s not a typo for “con larghezza”?

Or con ragazzo ( with a begging tone?). What piece is it, what is the musical context?

If the root is raggiare, it would mean “with radiance.”

That’s why I collected some old music dictionaries, because the recent ones are too limited, but I found that in an Italian dictionary, right after ragazzo.

Tacye
    Participant

Is the text clear enough that you are sure it isn’t vaghezza?

unknown-user
    Participant

It is very clearly “raghezza.” I suppose it could be a typo. :/

It’s in Grandjany’s Rhapsodie, page 7 line three; the part that has the melody in right hand harmonics and arpeggios in the left hand.

Sam

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi, I’m Italian and I think there’s a print error as “raghezza” doesn’t exist, “ragazzo” means boy and “raggiare” doesn’t exist but correct translation is “irradiare”, as I don’t have this sheet music (I’m a beginner with harp) I think you should ignore this word and play as you feel the music. I hope I’ve helped you (sorry if

nicky t.

p.s. I just add that I’ve found

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oh, I’d forgotten about that. Yes, I believe it’s from the lines in Purgatorio about

“e se natura produsse mai raghezza di co-
    lori nelle varie parti del mondo, trovasi in quel luogo raccolto”

so I guess you would interpret it as “spiritually shining” or something like that for that passage.

Score another one for old dictionaries. So the piece refers to the Inferno as well as a hymn?

nicky t.

Mmh, this is interesting but Dante wrote in an language which is not italian

nicky t.

For Saul David Zlatkovsky – I suggest you do not use old dictionary as italian words roots are in latin and ancient greek not in old italian words, also google translator would be better. Hope this information is useful.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

No, it can’t be ‘con vaghezza’, not there.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oops, hit Post accidentally. It’s just that ‘con vaghezza’ makes no sense in that spot, and certainly Mr. Grandjany had no vaghezza at all there when he played it, so whatever it is, it’s almost certainly not that.

unknown-user
    Participant

I agree with you, Barbara. “larghezza” doesn’t really make sense either… the passage is not played slow and there’s already a separate tempo indication. I wonder what he meant…

~Sam

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.