rod-c

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: chicago lyon healy harps #157722
    rod-c
    Participant

    http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/album/A17E5233AA96?c=pw59560&CS_003=4433951

    Sean:

    If you have a chance to visit the Lyon Healy showroom and factory in Chicago, you’re in for a treat. I am posting this link that should take you to an online album of photos I took at LH when I was there three years ago. (I hope the link works!) These photos were taken in the show room.

    While you are there, you can play any number of harps. And, the helpful staff there will take harps you want to try into a private room, where you can play them.

    They give tours of the factory by appointment. Their tours used to be at noon on weekdays, but that may have changed. (Taking photos in the factory was not allowed.)

    Disclaimer: I have no association with Lyon Healy…other than I am a very satisfied customer.

    Cheers,

    Rod C.

    in reply to: have you ever kissed your harp? #106866
    rod-c
    Participant

    No kissing here…but I have patted it on the neck!

    Cheers,

    Rod C.

    in reply to: L&H Chicago line — any thoughts? #106935
    rod-c
    Participant

    Anna:

    I don’t know if you’ve been to L&H before, but

    in reply to: How do you store your harp cover? #106962
    rod-c
    Participant

    Darth:

    I don’t have any words of wisdom here.

    in reply to: So, why is this a struggle? #107177
    rod-c
    Participant

    Kay: I just recently saw a harpist who has a pretty neat set up for traveling with her harp.

    in reply to: A Christmas Harp Video #107287
    rod-c
    Participant

    David:

    This is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    in reply to: share your music history? #105783
    rod-c
    Participant

    Deb:

    This question is easy for me to answer. My music history before playing harp: none! I didn’t even read music!

    in reply to: Musicians or Dreamers? #107328
    rod-c
    Participant

    Harp Guy:

    I would offer this thought as a follow up to Carl’s cogent points. I recall the phrase: “Do what you like and the money will follow.”

    in reply to: Harpist on Letterman #107418
    rod-c
    Participant

    Hi…

    A

    in reply to: harpist on “Glee”? – harp sighting #102477
    rod-c
    Participant

    I saw the harpist playing on Glee. I would like to ask a question of some of you more experienced harpists. (I am an intermediate student, having been playing for about four years.)

    In the Glee episode, it seemed to me that the harpist was playing very basic chords. I would have thought they would have used a harp for something a bit more elaborate. Any opinions on why they had a harpist to play (what seemed to me) a rather simple arrangement?

    Thanks,

    Rod C.

    in reply to: Seeking Arrangement of “I Dreamed a Dream” #107781
    rod-c
    Participant

    Barbara:

    Thanks. What do you mean by “show book”?

    Cheers,

    Rod

    in reply to: Organizing Repertoire #158572
    rod-c
    Participant

    Michaela:

    I followed the advice of someone here on the message board a couple of years ago. I have a 3-ring binder for my music. (Sort of like a gig binder…even though I do not do gigs.)

    I made photocopies of all the songs in my repertoire. (Yes, I know you’re not supposed to photocopy copyrighted material; but these pages are for my own use only. I am not selling the copies.) This allows me to keep my original arrangements elsewhere–on a shelf or in a drawer. Having the copies in the binder also cuts down on bulk.

    Then, I arrange the pieces in the binder by alpha order. I also have some of them in different sections–pieces I am working and pieces I want to learn eventually.

    Onward!
    Rod C.

    rod-c
    Participant

    Alissa:

    Jan Jennings has a nice book of pop tunes. It’s called: Pop Standards for the Lever Harp. Most online music stores will have it.

    Here’s a link. http://www.aharphaven.com/store/product_detail.asp?alpha=2088

    It has songs like Unchained Melody, Theme from Ice Castles, Can’t Help Falling in Love…

    The arrangements are for lever harp; if you’re an intermediate student, you will be able to play these pieces. I have the book and really like it.

    Best,

    Rod C.

    in reply to: Can’t believe it’s been a year! #107889
    rod-c
    Participant

    Hi Kay:

    I cannot believe it’s been a year already. Seems just like yesterday you were posting about your new pedal harp. Time does fly, doesn’t it?

    in reply to: Please Help – Which Model to Rent/Buy? #158693
    rod-c
    Participant

    Sarah:

    I think you are wise in renting a harp in the beginning. You will learn so much by doing this. I started nearly four years ago…I rented a Lyon Healy Troubador. I kept it for several months..then bought a Lyon Healy Prelude (a lever harp). As I became more and more “hooked” on the harp…I graduated to a pedal harp.

    Good luck to you! You’re starting an exciting, enriching journey.

    Rod C.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 209 total)