harpcolumn

So, why is this a struggle?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break So, why is this a struggle?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

I’m in pretty good shape, do the weight thing and exercise, weigh 127 lbs, SO . . . why can’t I haul on this harp by myself!?

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Kay,

I feel like a weakling too!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I think in an emergency I could just barely handle my 85P but I truthfully wouldn’t want to try it. I also have the advantage of a really good loading vehicle and a tricky cart that was designed by my husband.

We usually move the harp together. I also have NO IDEA how it will work when we have to transport the Wurlitzer, which is no too much heavier but a few inches taller.

Maybe it’s like the frog in the hot water- when the water is heated by just a degree or two an hour, the frog will happily sit there ’till he’s soup.

So maybe if you grow up hauling a harp, you just gradually get used to it and don’t mind the schlepping.

Still looking forward to a lighter pedal harp that sounds as good as a heavy one!

Tacye
    Participant

I haul my 85CG around with a reasonable amount of abandon on a 3 wheel trolley- when I lived up one flight of domestic stairs I got it up and down by myself.

kay-lister

Tracye,

I like your suggestion of a practice haul with a weight other than the harp.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

This is just basic bending procedure, but to add to Tacye’s remark, always keep your back straight when you bend your knees so that you don’t injure your spine.

shelby-m
    Participant

To quote Disney’s Hercules movie… “Lift with your knees, not your back!”
    Another factor might be balance.

diana-lincoln
    Participant

Harps are not the same as dead weight because shape and weight effect center of gravity. When we start picking them up and moving around it effects our own center of gravity, especially as our angles change on stairs. Muscling through is one way to deal with this everyday challenge but maybe some one out there with experience in ergonomics has some clever ideas. There are many of us 50+ encountering this problem. I’ve noticed people who use a type of moving strap with heavy or oddly shaped items but this requires two people…

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

I dont think that it is that easy and I deal with a relatively light Camac Atlantide stuck onto the spike on its own trolley leaving me quite free – possibly because I came to it in my 40s but I am fit too and have done Olympic distance triathlons.

Tacye
    Participant

I have been thinking back to when I became comfortable moving my harp up steps and things and think practice and learning exactly how to apply the force had a big part.

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Kay, for what it’s worth, you are

Kay, Carl Swanson, with text and many pictures, has six pages of advice on how to carry and how to transport a pedal harp, in his book: A Guide For Harpists: Care, Maintenance, and Repair of the Pedal Harp. My copy is copyright 1984, published by Boston Editions, P.O. Box 1086, Boston Massachusetts 02146.

rod-wagoner
    Participant

Kay, Carl’s book is sold through Vanderbilt Music.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Vanderbilt now holds the copyright on my book and they are the sole distributors of it.

David Ice
    Participant

It is worth the money to check with a qualified physical therapist to help you learn now to properly load/unload a harp into a vehicle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies