harpcolumn

So, why is this a struggle?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break So, why is this a struggle?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    diane-michaels
    Spectator

When I got out of college, I traded my puny style 14 for a hefty Salvi Diana, and for the first time, had to move a harp without help. For the record, I’m rather tiny and have been lifting weights since I was 18. I think the ability to move a hulking beast of an instrument required a psychological change. I simply had to make it happen. Abandoning fear was probably the change. I needed to stop worrying that I’d harm harp or self. I’m reminded of that now, as I have a leg injury that puts use of my right hamstring off limits. If I am in pain and feeling wimpy, I struggle. I overcome those moments by ignoring the fear of pain and I hoist my Salzedo up a step or two. I do have to limit myself to very short flights now, but pre-injury (into my 40’s) I could still do a flight of stairs – I’d empty my head of “reasonable” thoughts and get in the groove of the repetitive motion of each successive step. Grunting’s ok, BTW!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

David, aren’t you fairly tall? It’s a piece of cake to load the 85P into the Flex, which is also wide and low, but much harder for us to move it in anything else. We are both SHORT, so I think the principle is the same- you have to have a vehicle that accommodates the height of the mover.

I just found out yesterday that the church where I’m playing in January has a minimum of four steps to the main floor. We’re still hoping that there’s some hidden handicapped accessible entrance that we haven’t found yet.

Even with my weight lifter son as one of the harp movers for the event, I’m not to happy about schlepping the Wurlitzer up and down stairs. I told the bride at the outset that if I felt there were any risks, I’d be using the 85p and she said she understood.

I can remember when I used to whine about toting a little tiny bass clarinet case…..

J P
    Participant

I really don’t see why some people have such a huge issue with moving their harp.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

JP,

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t you of college age?

rod-c
    Participant

Kay: I just recently saw a harpist who has a pretty neat set up for traveling with her harp.

tonya-a
    Participant

I’ve been moving harps since the days when there were no dollies (I had a pseudo-skateboard to roll it around, but it was of no use with steps or outdoors).

It’s a matter of height, center of gravity, and leverage. I had a strong man, a fireman, moving my harp once, he was about five-foot five, and he almost lost control of it on a set of three steps, because he had to struggle so to get enough leverage to get it moving up again. The taller you are, the easier it is, I think, regardless of strength.

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

At 4’10” (or 11″, depending on the day) and soon to be 49 years old, I guess I should give this more thought than I have in the past.

Wearing high heels might help, too.

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

;-)

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies