onita-sanders

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Wedding Harpists using Groupon #146012
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    I had two similar experiences. Fortunately my brother is an attorney. Was able to get my monies after he threaten them with a lawsuit for writing a bad check over state lines. I always make a copy of their deposit check over their sign contract. Keep a copy of and return a copy to them as their receipt. End of problem.

    Onita Sanders

    in reply to: Harpist who played in ” The Bishop’s Wife” ? #103678
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    I recently as other have done, went on youtube and listen to and recorded Nat King Cole’s “Lost April” and googled the Bishop’s Wife’s “Lost April “and recorded it. Both are lovely. I am just brain storming here, because I am not knowledgeable about these things, is there not some computer program that can notate this arrangement down as played in the movie. Basically it is rolled chords playing the melody (exotic chords), interspersed with arpeggios and stratigically placed glisses. Most seasoned harpists can come close to this arrangement without it being exact because it is very, very harpy.

    Onita Sanders

    in reply to: Charging for gigs #146158
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    Thank you so much for your kind words. I think all

    in reply to: harp arrangement of “Sway” #103751
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    Great song. I love to do histories on songs that I can present in a concert situation. Was a very popular song in the 50’s and 60’s and was a hit song for Dean Martin. Has been used a lot in movie scores. The most recent one that I remember was the moive Dirty Sexy Beast. Was very effective in the movie. Is a very easy song to transcribe.

    in reply to: Digital Effects Processors for Electric Harp #69933
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    Point taken. Thank you for your clarification. Was eager to give my thoughts without careful reading what I was responding to. Thank you again.

    Onita Sanders

    in reply to: Rates for 2012 #146202
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    My suggestion would be to look up the harpists in the musicians union and just call them as if you were going to book for a wedding ceremony, reception, cocktails, etc. so you would get some idea without ruffling any feathers as to a general price. They do not have to know that you are also a harpist. I would also google the harpist/New York or any other way that you could to find out what there names are and what they charge by going to their websites as well as asking on harpcolumn so you are not just waiting for responses that may or may not come.

    Onita Sanders

    in reply to: Digital Effects Processors for Electric Harp #69931
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    I am so very, very glad that early on when the electric harp was first introduced that I had the opportunity, side by side with the electric and the acoustic harp to try the same effects, and much pthe acoustic harp. I beg to differ, yess guitar effects will work if it is the right effect. Also I use two systems, a shure 57

    in reply to: Digital Effects Processors for Electric Harp #69929
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    I would like to jump in here with what I have been using. I still use an acoustic harp. Have 4 of them and have used the same system on all 4. Boss pedals that give you desired effect

    in reply to: The Wedding Salon and other bridal shows… #146275
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    I wish I could help you in particular with the show you are askin, but I will tell you that I had a similar experience with the same type of show that touted catering to the higher end brides. Forget it. They above all other brides in general deal with some type of co-ordinator who tends to all these details. These brides are just as flustered as those spending far less. In general their weddings are much further removed from you because of the expense-unless you just happen to run in the same circles.

    So in light of what I have just written, I will be focusing on the co-ordinater shows. They book not only brides, but corporate shows, etc. where entertainment is needed. They have to widen their horizans to stay in business and not just deal with brides. To date I have not had to pay a dime.

    onita-sanders
    Participant

    I just love this kind of challenge. Having worked on recording sessions where all they do give you is a chord chart and

    in reply to: Singer-Songwriters who self-accompany on the harp #103740
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    Please do not laugh, but I would take a couple of selections that I know very, very well and perform them at home with all the lights out(in the dark). Imagining that you are performing at a recital or church function, etc. See how you do. After all there is such a thing as non-sighted harpists who seem to negotiate this very well. Have some fun with it.

    in reply to: Harp Amplification #146354
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    I happen to use the battery operated Hot Spot. Holds a charge for up to 8 hours. Has a spot for the cannon head (3 prong mike cord) as well as a 1/4in for transducer mikes. Has controls for high , medium, and low ranges. Have also used this as a selling point when doing outdoor weddings. Carry a mike stand for the minister and I use the 1/4in mike hook up for my self. Weighs about 10 pounds.

    Onita Sanders

    in reply to: plugging into existing sounds systems #146310
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    What wonderful insights.

    in reply to: plugging into existing sounds systems #146308
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    There is nothing you really have to install. If you do not have a mike, you can get for about $20-25 a mike stand. Or you can take their exsiting mike

    in reply to: plugging into existing sounds systems #146305
    onita-sanders
    Participant

    This is so very, very easy. Since they have a system, it means they have mikes. Just unplug the mike from the cord and connect your mike on to the cord.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)