harpcolumn

Harpist who played in ” The Bishop’s Wife” ?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harpist who played in ” The Bishop’s Wife” ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    bill-grant
    Participant

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me who the Harpist may have been who performed in the 1947 Cary Grant film ” The Bishop’s Wife” ? There is a scene that shows Cary Grant sitting at the harp, but the arms and hands playing have been superimposed onto the screen, so they definitely belong to someone else. By the technique they employ, my daughter thinks it could actually be Marcel Grandjany himself, but not sure. The credits didn’t list the musicians ( as was the custom). But if anyone has

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Hi, Bill. Wasn’t it Gail Laughton?

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Yes, it was.

kay-lister

I just saw this movie for the first time about 2 weeks ago – interesting.

Kay

bill-grant
    Participant

Thanks Barbara. Is there somewhere I can get information on her ? Is she still around?

Thanks again ( to all) for the quick responses!

Bill Grant

barbara-brundage
    Participant

She’s a he, Bill. 🙂

He played in many, many Hollywood films. Died several years ago. If David Ice is around, I’m sure he’s got the most complete bio info on him.

I think there’s another thread around here someplace about his recording “Harps of the Ancient Temples” which was used in the movie Bladerunner. Let me see if I can find that one for you.

barbara-brundage
    Participant
    bill-grant
    Participant

Thanks Barbara..I appreciate it!

If someone doesn’t transcribe and publish that piece for harp that Mr. Laughton plays before I kick the bucket, I’ll come back and haunt every harp in every room in every country for all eternity. 🙂

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I believe David Ice said he saw the arrangement (and was surprised to find it very vague and sketchy) but was unable to get it. I have the original piano sheet music (with photo of Cary Grant on the cover) but it’s not in the same key as in the movie. I’ve thought of transcribing it myself but other duties (and pieces) are more pressing. Sometimes what is actually played and what we think we hear are amazingly different, so transcriptions aren’t always exactly accurate, regardless of how careful we try to be.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi All,

Yes, it’s Gail Laughton.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Dave, which track on the Coraline CD has the harp solo? I haven’t yet seen the film but would like to hear the part you’re talking about.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I got in touch with the composer’s daughter about a year ago and she said that if there was enough interest she’d try to provide sale copies.

Unfortunately I can’t access her contact information because it’s stuck in a broken computer. I’m finding that I have so much saved stuff in that computer I may have to break down and get the thing fixed.

The piece is called “Lost April”. I’m going to try to find the previous post with google, and if I do, I’ll post the heading of it. The piece has a current copyright but is not available for purchase except through that lady, so even though it is not in print it is not legally in public domain.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Found it- the composer is Edgar DeLange. I will try to get Mr. DeLange’s daughter’s info out of my broken computer, and if I do I will post it. In my communication with her, she said that she thought she could get copies but that it might take time.

As I recall she was pleased that people continued to be interested in her father’s work.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Catherine,

It’s track 5 on the CD.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies