Leigh Griffith

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: how long to learn music and then some #87600
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Curly,

    I almost hate to say this, but it sounds just like the way my Mom was
    in early stage Alzheimer’s. She was in her early 60’s at the time, but
    I understand that it can begin as early as one’s twenties. I hope I am
    wrong! Both my mother and grandmother suffered with it and every time I
    forget something this little nagging though creeps in – what if?

    You may be doing him a great favor by feeding him, but that may not be all he needs.

    in reply to: Urgent! How to change a string? #164539
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    This link was posted once before, but may merit a repeat. Hope it helps!
    http://www.thorharp.com/pages/string_tying.htm

    Leigh

    in reply to: Rocking Harp #87669
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Or one of those rubber-tipped arrows?

    in reply to: Anyone going to Somerset? #164567
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    BIG Oops! I’m going down on the 19th and be there the 20th, not the 18th and 19th as previously stated!

    Sorry for any confusion!
    Leigh

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109942
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant
    in reply to: Post You Harp Pic #102449
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Oops, I mean Lisa, not Sherry!

    Sorry!

    Leigh

    in reply to: Post You Harp Pic #102448
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I brought this thread to the top so that Sherry could see how this
    weebly body copes with a lap harp. I stitched a piece of the non-skid
    stuff to the top of my cloth bucket cover. I am also very short (4′
    11″) and a standard metal folding chair is a little bit high for me,
    but I make do.

    Hope this helps,

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109930
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    …and the cat’s name is Play and the dog’s name is Uh oh. (Why not, I have a friend who’s cat is named Oops)!

    Leigh

    in reply to: Where do the bad harp go? #73711
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Or maybe Hugh himself is just toying with us to see what we come up with? ;-)

    Leigh

    in reply to: Where do the bad harp go? #73699
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I imagine that the bad harp go to the “badroom” when they have to go.

    in reply to: Here’s an O’Carolan question #164638
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I have an old book about Wales which mentions forbidding a school for
    the blind in North Wales from ‘giving every blind boy a harp’. It seems
    they felt overrun with blind harpers begging by the roadside.
    Leigh

    in reply to: Salvi harp cart fell apart and smells! #68674
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I want to know what it smells WITH? Does it have a nose?

    Leigh

    in reply to: Newbie to the harp world! #163916
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Becky,

    My first (and only, so far) harp is a 22 string Stoney End Eve. I had
    limited funds (still do!) and it was something I could afford. I am
    right handed and originally held the pillar with my left hand and
    played with my right. I will admit right up front that I am overweight
    and have an “ample bosom”. If I don’t hold it some, it bounces! That
    said, when I joined the local ensemble, I rigged a rattan wastebasket
    turned upside down to set my harp on. After a few years the basket gave
    out and I switched to a 6 gallon plastic bucket for which I made a
    fabric cover.

    in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68328
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    …a woman who wanted me to rent one of them to her (half way across the
    country) for a month and then let her decide if she wanted to buy it or
    not.
    “

    Okay, so this is one woman out of how many amateurs? As far as amateurs
    being more ‘finicky’ on sound, might it be that many are still getting
    used to the idea that no two harps sound exactly alike? It is hard to
    decide what you like when each one sounds different. My major criteria
    for my next harp: 1. I have to be able to lift and load it into my car
    by myself. 2. I have to be able to reach all the strings. 3. Not too
    muddy, not too plinky and enough volume to not get lost in the
    ensemble. 4. Good workmanship. I’ve seen too many harps where joints
    didn’t match up well, etc. Is this being ‘finicky’? I think it is being
    practical.

    Yes, there are impossible people out there. I once had a woman contact
    me about a wall hanging. She wanted a 2 1/2 foot by 3 foot custom
    landscape quilted wallhanging. She wanted that because the man she had
    talked with about a diorama had wanted $3,000.00 for what she wanted
    which she said was way more than it was worth. When I told her what I
    would have to do and what I would have to charge (around $800.00), she
    never called back. The woman had no idea what time committments and
    materials costs artists have. My point is, the pigeon hole should be
    “impossible people” not “amateurs”.

    My two cents,

    Leigh

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157864
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Thank-you, Herb, for openly admitting it! Hmmm, I only know a couple of
    “harp parents”. Most of the folks in my ensemble are parents
    themselves, or grandparents – even great-grandparents! 😮

    Leigh

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 163 total)