Leigh Griffith

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Anyone going to Somerset? #164566
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Well, it’s going to mean a little less in my harp purchasing budget,
    but my hubby and I decided to do the drive and stay at the Doubletree.
    We will only be there for the first day (the 19th). We are driving down
    the 18th and back up the 20th. Looks like about 605 miles each way (and
    I have a quilt show the next weekend). I hope I get to meet some of you
    there! Ellie, have you found a roommate yet?

    Leigh

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157862
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I just went back up the thread a ways and noticed that a lot of people
    must have found this thread by Googling the “dry, splitting, cracking,
    etc”. I guess if it helps them that is a good thing. I just didn’t like
    the way he made it sound like he had found this great product, only to
    find out he makes the stuff.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157861
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Barbara, I’m not saying that the product has no merit. I simply feel
    that it is inappropriate to use forums like this as free advertising.
    This person is selling a product that is not specifically for harpists,
    but for gymnasts, and his only reason for posting here is to sell a
    product. It would have been fine for yourself or someone else to give a
    personal testimony for a product that worked for them or someone they
    know (many of us have in this thread).

    Am I wrong to feel this way? Every time someone asks if there is a
    product out there that will make our harping lives easier, do we want
    multiple posts from outside people who followed a Google link to a
    thread? I would rather see posts from people who have actual experience
    with a product and no connection with the company.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157859
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    If you go to the page and click on “about us” you find that Mr. Rankin
    owns the company. I thought it was weird that he posted the same thing
    twice. For that reason alone, I will never use his products. We don’t
    come here to read spam!

    Leigh

    in reply to: “Getting to the ‘bottom’ of it!” #164746
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    “Tush” reminded me of a term we in the NE have used, “tookus”. A little
    while ago, I thought that was what a friend had changed part of her
    email address to: tuhkis – turns out it isn’t pronounced that way at
    all and is the Maliseet Indian word for lynx.

    As a kid 40 years ago, really great things were “wicked” or “wicked
    good”. I was a bit surprised to hear Ron Weasley come out with it in
    the same context in the first Harry Potter book!

    A frustrated Mainer can be heard to say, “Geezum crowbait”. We do have
    a lot of crows around here. (What can you say, we’re the home of the
    Road Kill Cafe!)

    Of course, being this close to Canada, many of us also end a comment
    with, “eh?” (rhymes with hay) as in, “That was some game last night,
    eh?”

    Oh, and speaking of Canada, we often have a fellow who plays Paraguayan
    harp participate in our concerts who joins us from “over home”. ;-)

    Leigh

    in reply to: Three used harps for sale #73102
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Carl,

    If I can do it, anyone can! I followed what Ken said in another thread:

    “Posted by Ken Matthews on

    Leigh,
    once you have the the pictures uploaded to you web site, then right
    click on the picture and select “copy links location” then here in the
    post reply select the “add image icon” then paste the address of you
    picture you just copied from you web site. You should see it in your
    reply message before you post the message here. If not.. Then something
    is wrong.”

    I hope this works for you!

    Leigh

    in reply to: Harp buzz =( #164765
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I could swear that I hear it from the joint where the neck is connected too the top of the soundbox, but can anything be done??

    You may have just got it! I have a walnut lap harp that was only
    buzzing in my lowest C and E, but it was driving me crazy! It turned
    out to be the 2

    in reply to: Pedal Harp for 5 ft. person #164784
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    in reply to: Pedal Harp for 5 ft. person #164782
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    How does she do it?! I am 4′ 9″ tall and have just about decided that
    32 strings is my maximum reach! (And that felt like a stretch!) Is
    there a better way to sit, turn the harp, what? I would like to be able
    to have more strings, but have been feeling like, “If I can’t reach
    ’em, why pay for ’em?” Is there a book or video somewhere that would
    help with a good – posture and reach wise – positioning? (I also have
    arthritis and a bad back). This is new ground for my mentor who has
    never worked with someone as short as I am.

    Thanks!
    Leigh

    in reply to: Harp decal for back window of car #161213
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    What does it look like and/or say?
    Leigh

    in reply to: recommendation for portable electronic tuner #69090
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I have had my Zen-on Chromatina 331 for 11 years now and am only on my second battery. I love it!

    Leigh

    in reply to: Anyone going to Somerset? #164563
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    hehehehe my parents are from Maine… my dad’s family is from Sandy Point (near Stockton Springs and Bucksport)

    Near what used to be Hersey Retreat?

    in reply to: Anyone going to Somerset? #164562
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    The only time I lived near the coast was in the early ’80’s when my
    husband taught in Eastport, so I haven’t heard the Ayuh as much as I
    might have.

    A friend of mine was recalling a time when she and her (then) young son
    were at a comedy night with Marshall Dodge. As people were laughing, he
    asked

    in reply to: Anyone going to Somerset? #164560
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Well, doesn’t it figure that I left my brochure at rehearsal this
    morning? I do believe that there is a place on the registration form to
    say that you are looking for a roommate. Check out their website:
    http://www.harpsomerset.com/

    It is looking like I will probably only be there for a day to check out
    the vendors as I really want to save as much as possible toward my next
    harp. I would love to take some workshops, but that may not be a
    possibility this year.
    Leigh

    in reply to: Anyone going to Somerset? #164557
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Rosemary,

    Some folks say there are two Maines, but I think there are three or
    four! There is the “techno-rich” south, the coast(fishermen and people
    ‘from away’), the inland (loggers and the few struggling dairy farms)
    and Aroostook County in the north (potatoes, logging, broccoli and a
    wind farm). (For those who don’t know, Aroostook County, Maine is the
    largest county east of the Mississippi River.) Houlton is the county
    seat of Aroostook County. I am not a “county girl”, I have only been
    here six years. Looking at a map, I would guess we are 4 to 4 1/2 hours
    north of Camden.

    I would love to get to your side of the world some day! The spare room
    sounds great, but I bet the couch is comfy, too! (Beggars can’t be
    choosers!)

    Anyway, I hope to hear from someone who is in the area of the festival.
    Maybe you folks know of some decent place to stay that doesn’t charge
    corporate rates?

    Thanks,
    Leigh

    Oh, and ‘ayuh’ is

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 163 total)