Leigh Griffith

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Gestures, Salzedo style #86543
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Actually, with the first link, all you have to do is delete the “u” at the end of the url.

    in reply to: Post You Harp Pic #102447
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hey, Val, great picture! This must have been at The Harp Connection.
    Have you made a final choice? Not easy, is it? :-) Oh so many aspects
    to decide upon!

    Leigh

    in reply to: Lift Every Voice and Sing for harp!? #167041
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Well, my hubby and I have been running Noteworthy on the last five
    computers we have had and only had occasional problems with it. We use
    it to break down our choral music into parts (he’s bass, I’m alto) and
    to learn hymn music for church. My son has used it to compose some
    simple music and run on good speakers sounds good enough as
    accompaniment in Church. It may not be a big fancy expensive program,
    but it does what we need, and sounds like it should be fine for what
    Jade needs, so why do you feel the need to badmouth it?

    in reply to: Post You Harp Pic #102431
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Sorry this picture is so small. It is from my website. I am all the way to the right and you really can’t make out my harp. All the other harps in this picture are Witcher 31 string student models.

    Again, I am all the way to the right. I used this basket until it fell
    apart. Now I use a plastic bucket that I made a cloth cover for and
    also use it to carry my music, tuner, etc. We are all wearing matching
    shirts (painted by me!) that have our logo, an angel playing a lap harp
    on a blue and purple background. We are the Heavenly Harpers of
    Houlton. Our teacher, Nancy Harris, is all the way to the left. She has
    moved aeay, but we all still meet and play!

    Leigh

    in reply to: Post You Harp Pic #102427
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Ooookay… in other words, I’ll have my hubby do it! ;-) The picture I
    was thinking of isn’t on my website and I don’t know how to do all that
    stuff! Thanks for the info, though, I’m sure he will know exactly what
    you mean (he built my website).

    Leigh

    in reply to: Post You Harp Pic #102425
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Ummm… how do I do this?

    Leigh

    in reply to: Strings for Witcher harp #69462
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    You could also try calling Jay himself at: (207) 532-9051.

    Leigh

    in reply to: Stoney End Owners #160855
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Yup, I’m the one with the Eve. The strings are closer together than
    they are on the larger Stoney End harps, which is good for my short
    fingers, but might be too close for someone with bigger hands. I know
    my husband complains about that when he gives it a try now and then.

    Ken, where are you located? I got my Eve at Song of the Sea in Bar
    Harbor, Maine. Of course prices have gone up, but I got the package
    deal – harp, Zen-On tuner (last time I saw one it cost $100.00), padded
    case, extra set of strings and the Sylvia Woods’, Teach Yourself book
    for less than the cost of just the harp in today’s prices.

    If you aren’t on the East coast, it may not be a cost effective alternative for you.

    We had our first rehearsal after the holidays this morning and one of
    our members is selling one of her Jay Witcher harps for $1500.00. I was
    tempted, but it only has 26 strings (C to G). It does have a lovely
    sound which is very even from bass to top. I don’t think she has a case
    for it, it was wrapped in a blanket this morning.

    Cheers,
    Leigh

    in reply to: Stoney End Owners #160844
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Thanks, Ken, I’ll have to check that one out! I have heard of using
    sassafras, and I think some of the harps in the UK are sycamore, but I
    haven’t heard either one in person. Most of the harps in our ensemble
    are maple student harps made by Jay Witcher which sound great, are in
    the price range and go from F to A, it is just that they are quite
    heavy (harp and case together are 35 pounds). I know that the pedal
    harpists on here are probably laughing out loud at that, but I broke my
    back as a child and just can’t lift that much.

    in reply to: Stoney End Owners #160837
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Ken,

    I have a Stoney End Eve (22 strings) that I bought ten years ago. I
    play in an ensemble here in northern Maine which meets weekly and plays
    three to four concerts a year. I have only broken one string in ten
    years and am just now thinking of changing some strings out because of
    loss of sound quality. My teacher (who has three harps by Jay Witcher)
    said that it had a sweet tone and great projection for its size.
    Friends who have come to our concerts say that they can hear me over
    the other harps in the group – all 12 of them! I have always liked its
    tone, myself.

    I also have a friend who has the Lorraine model (in cherry) which is
    about 20 years old. It is the first harp I ever played. It has an
    incredibly rich sound for its size (I think), although he has had to do
    repairs to the

    in reply to: Harp Dog #162269
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I used to have a cat who loved to listen to the harp. She would sit
    next to me and look from me to the harp over and over until I got the
    hint. When it was her time to go, I played the harp for her while she
    was dying and my husband was caressing her. He let me know when she was
    gone. It was the least we could do for her.

    Also, one time we were visiting friends and I brought the harp along.
    We were sleeping on the living room floor next to the harp. I woke up
    to hearing the strings being brushed very lightly, opened my eyes, and
    by the light of a street lamp saw one of their cats tentatively
    brushing a couple strings at a time and looking curiously at the harp.
    No claws were out, it was just fascinated that it could make the sound.

    My husky/lab mix is afraid of the lap harp because I was playing
    outside once and sat it down for a moment. The dog inched closer and
    was sniffing at the harp when a gust of wind stirred the strings. She
    fell over herself trying to back away because the harp played itself!

    in reply to: theory software? #88276
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Barbara,

    I’m stumped, now. If it only happened on one computer, I might say it
    was an issue with the sound card, but it doesn’t sound like that is the
    case. Sorry i can’t help you!

    Leigh

    in reply to: Why the harp? #103346
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Jerusha,

    Thank-you for sharing your experience!

    I’m sure there are quite a few people whose parents felt (feel) that
    learning a musical instrument is not as important as other things. In
    my case, music was encouraged and nurtured to a point – trips to the
    Symphony at least once a year, etc., but the “heirloom” instruments and
    formal instruction was for the eldest child only. Our school system
    provided two years of free ‘band instrument’ instruction in elementary
    school, which is all the flute instruction I had, even though I
    continued with it through high school.

    Because of this, I wanted my child to learn as many instruments as he
    wished, only to have him be totally uninterested! Go figure!

    I’m not sure what larger harp I want yet, I would like to be able to
    try different ones. So far the only ones I have had access to are my
    friend’s Stoney End, a Dusty strings FH36S (too big), and a 31 string
    Jay Witcher student harp (not too awful big, but heavy).

    I know I’m not really ‘built’ to play the harp (I’m short, round, have
    short arms and fingers and an “ample” bosom!) I do love the sound,
    though, and enjoy our group very much.

    Leigh

    in reply to: theory software? #88273
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Barbara,

    I’m running XP with SP2 and got the Alfred demo from Sylvia Woods. It
    works fine. Maybe they have an upgraded version? If so, and you have
    bought it before, it seems that you should get some sort of discount on
    the uprade. I have the book and it is a bit dry, but

    in reply to: Why the harp? #103344
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    +++Every one should make some kind of music and to see so many people who
    never did start no matter what the age is a wonderful thing.+++

    It has been my experience that the older people in our group (harp
    ensemble – currently 13 members) who started harping later in life (I
    got my harp at 40) have either been in choirs or choruses, or have
    played another instrument. We have only two members who have never
    played another instrument. Most have played piano and some have also
    played organ. I have played flute, piccolo and guitar as well as having
    sung in two different community choruses.

    For me, I wanted to learn the harp after attending a Boston Symphony
    concert at age 6, but my parents wouldn’t let me. They also wouldn’t
    let me take piano lessons even though we had a good piano and my older
    sister took lessons. I ended up with the flute and in high school added
    the piccolo, even though they weren’t my first choice. I was also not
    allowed to take violin lessons – that was also reserved for my sister
    since she was older and “destined” to inherit both my mother’s piano
    and my father’s violin. To appease me somewhat, since I gravitated to
    stringed instruments, my parent bought a cheap guitar at Sears for my
    sister and I to share – but it was just to self teach, no lessons
    allowed.

    Fast forward to my late twenties when a friend came to visit with his
    29 string Stoney End. I fell in love! One of my parents reasons for not
    letting me take harp lessons was that I was too small. Here was a harp
    that I could reach all the strings on and even carry with no
    difficulty. It was still only a dream, though, until I bought my little
    22 string Eve in 1995. I am hoping to purchase a larger harp next
    summer if I can save up enough money.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 163 total)