harpcolumn

Where do the bad harp go?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Where do the bad harp go?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    john Doe
    Participant

We all know that Harp Compaineys make good sounding harps and Bad sounding harps.

It seems

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Saul, That was a GREAT response to this annoying annonymous poster…. MADE ME REALLY LAUGH : ^) …THANKS FOR THAT ONE!!!

Gloria

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Hire them out to beginners?

Donate them to schools or youth orchestras?

Take them apart and cannibalise the useful bits?

Lots of constructive things can be done with a working pedal harp, even if it doesn’t have wonderful tone.

All harp go to doggy heaven. Even bad harp do. Only evil harp made of plastic go down to dump.

unknown-user
    Participant

Saul, there you go again…being funny!!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Saul this is good enough for stand-up. Are you looking for a second career?

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Yes, if they work but the tone is lacking, there are always people looking for ‘free or cheap’ pedal harps, or donate pedal harps.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’d vote for electrify them and hire them out to Rock or metal bands.

unknown-user
    Participant

Ooops I forgot one other thing…paint them black as well of course!

John McK
    Participant

Hung up on the wall of Salzedo-themed restaurants?

Consumed in fiery displays of Nordic Ragnarophilia?

kay-lister

Welcome back Mr. Doe – – – You BIG CHICKEN!!!!

Kay

unknown-user
    Participant

Hey Kay–did you get my e-mail?

unknown-user
    Participant

Does anyone else dream of finding a GOOD harp in a pawn shop, for, oh, say $500?

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

How can you tell if it’s worth fixing? You usually can’t. Even seasoned harp restorers will warn you that a zillion hidden problems can lurk in the pedal mechanism, especially if the harp is an antique. It needs someone with a professional experienced eye to look inside the pedal box underneath, and even then most of them will only chance a cautious estimate. You usually don’t know for sure until you begin working on it what you’re going to encounter.

Also woodworm can do a lot more damage than is immediately apparent. Those tiny little holes can be masking a whole rabbit warren of tunnels beneath the surface, which means the neck or affected part can be considerably weaker than it looks. I once saw an old harmonic curve in cross section and it was so porous it resembled a piece of French bread! But all that was visible from outside was one or two tiny holes.

If you’re looking at something in an antique shop for a knockdown price, NO ONE is likely to know the true state of it, or where it’s been. Take a qualified harp restorer with you, and even then don’t expect anyone to commit him/herself.

If the pedals are FULLY working then you may be in with a chance. But how likely is that??!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies