Leigh Griffith

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Lap Harp Advice Needed #164174
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I don’t have experience with the Brittany, but I do have an Eve. I love
    it and it has great sound for its size. the only thing is that the
    string spacing is much narrower than pedal harp spacing. It is also
    much lighter in tension. I just pulled out my Eve (after playing only
    my new Triplett 34 string for two weeks) and the strings felt very close together! I don’t know if there is a lap harp with wider spacing or not.

    Anyone know what the string spacing id like on other lap harps?

    Don’t know if this helps,
    Leigh

    in reply to: Where are you? #110387
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I suspect that, as we are such a low population area, we are not even ‘on the radar’ so to speak.

    Leigh

    in reply to: Where are you? #110384
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Even more than Houlton? Let’s see, greater Houlton area – 9500 people, 32 churches. (Sixteen of those in town).

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103034
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I’m a great one for not recognizing famous people. I was visiting my
    sister once in western Mass and we decided to go to a craft fair at
    which a potter friend of hers had a booth. We were talking with the
    woman, whom I had met before and bought some yarn from, and she
    introduced me to her sister-in-law. We chatted about parenthood (we
    both had very young sons at the time) and I admired her son’s artwork
    which was displayed in the booth. After a bit we moved on to see other
    booths and my sister asked if I recognized the woman I had been
    chatting with. I said something like, “I don’t think I’ve met her
    before”. My sister said, “No, but did you recognize
    her?” Being dense, I asked how I could recognize someone I had never
    met? By now she was exasperated with me (knowing I am an avid Star Trek
    fan) and said, “That was Gates McFadden, you
    know, Dr. Crusher?” At that point, my husband piped up with, “I just
    thought she was a skinny blonde in jeans and a baseball cap.” He’s so
    diplomatic at times – not.

    in reply to: Hearing problems #162534
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I have to have people talk to my left ear, as a result of an ear
    infection my first year of college. A benefit I found with playing the
    harp is that if I rest my right ear on the harp, I can hear it fine
    through the bone! It sounds so rich and loud compared to the little bit
    I get through the air. I haven’t had a problem with distortion of tone,
    unless I

    in reply to: Just got me a style 17! How about you? #111837
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hey Curly Gurl,

    I can’t keep up with you! Just how many harps do you currently own?! ;-D

    Leigh

    in reply to: Just got me a style 17! How about you? #111827
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Congratulations!

    My, so many people with new harps! I’m glad your new 17 didn’t decide
    to learn to ‘fly’ after all! Now that it is home safe nad sound, I am
    sure you are getting to know each other very well.

    Enjoy!

    Leigh

    in reply to: Border Harps, George Leverett Harps, Stoney End?? #164320
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hi Nora,

    I have an 11 year old 22 string Stoney End ‘Eve’ lap harp and I love it
    for all of the reasons Jennifer mentioned. I took it to Arizona (from
    Maine) in the overhead bin of the plane (pre-9/11), and my teacher has
    been very impressed with the sound. On high parts it cuts through the
    rest of the ensemble (up to 13 other harps) and can be heard in the
    back of the church. That said, I just bought a new harp that is not a
    Stoney End for mainly two reasons. One is number of strings. I can’t
    reach the strings on their 34 string model and the next smallest has 29
    strings, which I can reach. What I bought is a 34 string Triplett
    Sierra of which I can reach all the strings.

    The other reason is that

    in reply to: A first for me #164407
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Our ensemble occasionally gets asked to do background music. We call
    these gigs “paid rehearsals”, because they are almost stress free for
    the newer folks and yet get them used to the idea of playing in public.
    Of course, no one is forced to participate and there are some who
    choose only to play at home and for our own concerts, which I think are
    more stressful, because then folks are focused on us and pretty silent.

    Leigh

    in reply to: MeadoWind 36 Harp #164448
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Waaaa, I just broke my first string on my new harp! It was the first
    time I’ve replaced a wire string. It went pretty well, but I did leave
    a tiny circular scratch on the neck from the end of the string. I
    thought I had it out of the way, but it swung back and scratched before
    I could catch it. It is on now and I managed to tune the rest without
    mishap. Whew!

    Leigh

    in reply to: MeadoWind 36 Harp #164447
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Hey, Val, You must have been there not many days before we were! I
    tried seven different harps to see what would fit best. The Dusty FH32
    was the best sounding of the ones that ‘fit’, but it still wasn’t real
    comfortable and was just barely within my reach (arm length wise). I
    didn’t make any decisons right then, because I was heading to Somerset,
    but I wanted to try as many as I could. They were great and, like all
    the vendors at the festival, let us video tape the whole thing so that
    I could compare later at home.

    I will also be posting a picture in the not too distant future, but I
    ended up getting a Triplett Sierra in walnut with walnut veneer on the
    soundboard, Camac levers, case and wheels. I’m in love! A 34 string
    that is less of a reach than the FH32 because the top of the box is
    tapered more. Yay!

    Leigh

    in reply to: how long to learn music and then some #87606
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    I’m glad that my first impression was not on the mark, but that doesn’t
    make it any less frustrating for you. That reminds me, I have another
    hour of working on a quilt before I can go practice. I’m hand-stitching
    the binding on the back of a window quilt (now that all the velcro is
    on) and it will be a treat to look at something that is more than 5
    inches from my nose!

    Leigh

    in reply to: Have you gone – the OTHER way? #164501
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Ahhhh!!! I get it. Sorry Kathy! Thank-you Barbara!
    Leigh (backing away and bowing deeply in extreme embarrassment)!

    in reply to: Have you gone – the OTHER way? #164499
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Maple is an
    ‘actual hardwood’. It is harder than both cherry and walnut, I don’t
    know about koa. Of the 13 harps in our ensemble, one is walnut (mine)
    one is cherry and the other 11 are maple. Here in Maine we don’t call
    it ‘rock maple’ for nothing!

    Leigh

    in reply to: how long to learn music and then some #87601
    Leigh Griffith
    Participant

    Oops, I meant ‘nagging thought’. Hmmm….

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 163 total)