john-strand

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Can I move a harp in a trailer #69484
    john-strand
    Participant

    yes, I agree with the above – it’s pretty risky given the information you have posted – and especially standing up – I did once in an emergency take my concert grand to a wedding in a convertible with the top down leaning up against the back seat, but I was a nervous wreck the whole time – and the wind made the cover flap against the harp pretty violently if we went too fast –

    If you have no friends who have vans I would suggest that you hire a taxi that is wheelchair accessible – you need to call your local taxi companies to find one – or an 8passenger taxi and have them put the seats down – either way you have the harp enclosed in a vehicle with appropriate climate control – but do check it out in advance to be sure that you can fit your harp in the particular vehicle they send –

    You said this is an audition – I assume for a job – so if you get a regular job, what are your plans for moving your harp on a regular basis –

    in reply to: Folk Harp Journal: Issue 72 WANTED #69611
    john-strand
    Participant

    Hi – I have that particular one which I would be happy to give you – contact me at jsstrand@hotmail.com with your address and I’ll send it to you –

    I also have probably 50 journals from that era if anyone is interested – I very nearly threw them out a few years ago, but took a nap instead – LOL –

    in reply to: Could anyone name this harp? #69728
    john-strand
    Participant

    Looks to me like a Salvi Apollo – when I shift the image to full screen you can see the “twistings” on the column

    http://salviharpsinc.com/HarpApolloSalvi.htm

    I think some of the sound quality is being affected by the amount of reverberation in the hall and the fact that there doesn’t seem to be any close mike to the harp –

    in reply to: Pretty Pedal Harps?? #69805
    john-strand
    Participant

    Have a look at the Venus Classic Special – that’s the ornate carved roses one but in a semi-grand size – one of our San Antonio folks has one – if your playing at events will be acoustic only, I would suggest the new soundboard – another of our folks here has a Cherub with that soundboard and it puts out the sound quality and volume of a concert grand –

    in reply to: Favorite O’Carolan tune #103301
    john-strand
    Participant

    “Carolan’s Draught”

    in reply to: fly-away pedal #69904
    john-strand
    Participant

    about 8 inches of duct tape wound around the offending joint :-)

    BTW – David Williams does travel around Texas so check with him and see if he has plans to be anywhere near you in the foreseeable future – in the meantime, the duct tape will sure stop it from flapping around –

    john-strand
    Participant

    mine has always been “when in doubt – gliss!”

    in reply to: Silver Harps #69977
    john-strand
    Participant

    Wally did a Venus “Criterion” special order in black and silver for a customer here in San Antonio – I saw it at a Christmas Ensemble performance a while back – it was quite striking in appearance – I think the action plates were actually done in chrome or maybe stainless steel – and it had some natural wood highlights and a natural soundboard with stripes – I bet he has some pictures of it – also, Greg Buchanan’s original dark blue electric Salzedo has some white gold trim on it although as I remember the action plates are brass –

    in reply to: Re: Gut Harp Strings #104037
    john-strand
    Participant

    Hi – you can check the back issues of the American Harp Journal published by the American Harp Society – I remember that some years ago there was a very in-depth and detailed article with pictures concerning the whole process of gut string manufacture – There was also a video from Salvi about their harp manufacturing process which also included a section on gut string production – check with Salvi for the video – you might also write to Bow Brand strings, or any other major string manufacturer, and ask for information –

    have fun –

    in reply to: Update on Basel #103920
    john-strand
    Participant

    Just after midnight Monday night and I am listening to NPR discuss the Syrian situation especially concerning the area Basel is in – it just seems to get more and more dire and dangerous for the civilians – a desperate situation for all those folks with no solution in sight –

    in reply to: Old Harp #70365
    john-strand
    Participant

    Looks like some kind of Paraguyan harp to me – some closeups of the neck area without the drape would help however, it looks to me like the strings go up through the center of the neck and that’s one characteristic of those harps – you might try a google picture search on “paraguyan harp” and see if pics come up that are similar to yours –

    It also looks to me like you have it leaning against a niche in the wall – that’s also characteristic as they are not built to “stand up” – the strings also look closely spaced – nice color to the wood

    well, have fun with your search –

    in reply to: Venus Seraphim #70410
    john-strand
    Participant
    re your “sticky” pedals – back plate screw adjustments have loosened up the pedal action on one of my harps – on yours it might be combined with some needed pedal rod adjustments – don’t know how old your harp is – an experienced harp tekkie should be able to make the necessary adjustments – just be sure it’s somebody who is really knowledgeable about these kinds of “fine tuning” adjustments –
    in reply to: Who is playing in this video? #104968
    john-strand
    Participant

    If you are talking about the “Secret Love” clip from the old hit parade show of 1954, a note with it says that it is probably Ruth Berman – here’s a link to the clip

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJfFOt4gksQ

    in reply to: Jokes #104879
    john-strand
    Participant

    Takes a lot of guts to play the harp – – – – –

    in reply to: Harpo Marx Tunes in Sheet Music Form? #105116
    john-strand
    Participant
    Hi – just ran across a posting on ebay for “Guardian Angels” – they want $50 for it – so any of you out there who have copies hang on to them for a while longer and you can use them for retirement – LOL

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150672200274&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)