john-strand

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111204
    john-strand
    Participant

    How about Music For Millions – 1944?

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111200
    john-strand
    Participant

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8158827649224001062&q=female+harpist&total=39&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

    here is a clip from Our Man Flint – the bad lady takes the place of the harpist in mid song, and uses a string a la Harpo to shoot a poisoned needle at someone!!!! Oh, well, it is in color and the first harpist looks like she is actually playing – maybe some of you will recognize her – looks a bit like Gayle Levant to me – – –

    in reply to: Manly Harps #102302
    john-strand
    Participant

    PS – here’s a little added info – all the harps on the Williams Harp Gallery site are

    in reply to: Manly Harps #102300
    john-strand
    Participant

    I mentioned somewhere before that my gold Venus Paragon was one of the few with hand painted fleur de lis on the board instead of a decal – David Willimas of Williams Harp Galleries recently

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111174
    john-strand
    Participant

    I just looked at imdb again and someone has posted a discussion of the film – I tried to copy and paste but this site is not letting me – however, you can go the the imdb site and check it out –

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111171
    john-strand
    Participant

    I saw the movie in 1954 in when the family was stationed in London, and I read the book a year or two later

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111167
    john-strand
    Participant

    “Portrait of Jennie” – David Wayne accompanies himself on a small lap harp and sings a meleancholy Irish (I think it is) song – I think David Wayne does the singing, but don’t know who does the actual playing –

    1950s – “The Angel Who Pawned Her Harp” starring Diane Cilento (the first Mrs. Sean Connery and mother of Jason Connery)

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111164
    john-strand
    Participant

    I have heard that also, but there is some connection between Robert Maxwell and the “Hungarian Rhapsody”

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111163
    john-strand
    Participant

    Henry Thomas is from San Antonio – Laurie Buchanan here in San Antonio coached him to synch his fingers to the music when they shot the harp playing scenes for “Valmont”

    in reply to: Manly Harps #102272
    john-strand
    Participant

    There is a Venus Criterion in gold on the Venus website – quite spectacular looking and would look great with a black tuxedo – if you look under specialty finishes, there is a black Criterion and a white one, each one with different levels of bronzing – there is a lady here in San Antonio who recently had Wally do a custom Criterion in black with silver leafing accents plus silver action plates and silver discs – it is quite striking and has a wonderful sound –

    as to the Salzedo in different finishes, I saw one years ago at the Salzedo Convention in Austin that was black – and Greg Buchanan has a custom electric straight board Salzedo in dark blue with white gold accents that he has been using in concert for probably 10 years or more –

    in reply to: Contemporary Harpists? #103480
    john-strand
    Participant

    Rudiger Opperman – Park Stickney – solo albums and their album together – I love the old multi-tracked harps that Robert Maxwell did in the early 50’s (“The Harp in Hi Fi”

    in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68360
    john-strand
    Participant

    Wonderful Dorothy Ashby – she left us way too early – I remember reading somewhere that her husband also installed carpeting on the inside of the pedalbox to minimize the pedal sounds during recording sessions – and carbon fiber – it has been used very successfully in Ovation guitars round backs for probably 40 years

    in reply to: cool slang names for pieces #108696
    john-strand
    Participant

    Don’t forget that lovely old hymn “Jesus Spits and Shines” – (AKA Jesus Bids Us Shine)

    in reply to: Salvi harp cart fell apart and smells! #68639
    john-strand
    Participant

    Try the William Harp Gallery site – they have started producing an all aluminum cart with big pneumatic tires – I really love mine – and it gets a lot of use!

    John

    in reply to: Regulations (not Rules) #71868
    john-strand
    Participant

    Add David Williams of Williams Harp Gallery in Dallas to your list. He is both a professional harpist (principle with the Ft. Worth Symphony and Dallas Opera) and a

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)