john-strand

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111435
    john-strand
    Participant

    I hope we don’t get into another bashing session – I am here for the interesting and useful stuff about playing and maintaining

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111411
    john-strand
    Participant

    re – “everyone steers clear of them”

    in reply to: Worst/ Strangest Wedding Request #111516
    john-strand
    Participant

    Quite a few years ago – bride and groom INSISTED on the “Pink Panther Theme” as the bridal march – seems they had met on a blind date and gone to that movie – since it was that special, I suggested they use a tape of the real music for that part, and I did everything else – it was a bit of a jolt as the last bridesmade got to the altar to the Canon on harp and then suddenly da da –da da– dat da

    in reply to: Harp Sighting — Old Movie #111641
    john-strand
    Participant

    just saw a piece of Suddenly Last Summer where Katherine Hepburn is descending in the elevator – looks like an old Erard sitting in the background – –

    in reply to: Harp piece in film “A Fine Madness”? #111644
    john-strand
    Participant

    According to imdb, the composer for the films’ music was John Addison who I checked out in Wikipedia – turns out he has quite an impressive

    in reply to: Harp, belly dancer and fire juggler. #111609
    john-strand
    Participant

    Robert Maxwell’s arrangement of “Sheherezade” – I have it and could fax it to you although you are getting pretty close to “showtime” –

    Your description of the clients sets off warning bells – sounds like money up front and specific playtime in a signed contract would be a good idea – I had a prof once who was also quite the public speaker – he would arrive but not begin until he had been paid in full – he said that unlike selling a “thing” there was no way to “reposses” his time if he was

    in reply to: discovery channel-how it’s made #111697
    john-strand
    Participant

    About 20 years ago there was a 20 minute or so video from the Salvi Factory

    in reply to: Suggestions for Forum use guide #111669
    john-strand
    Participant

    In the harps and accessories post, I see that George has an addendum that he has been in a serious motorcycle wreck and is working at getting back into a life – I, for one, have worked in the past with rehabs and serious head injuries, and given the content and manner of his posts here, it could be quite true. These folks can certainly be forgiven some erratic processes as a part of their healing – also, the extent of recovery can be quite variable

    in reply to: Are Venus Harps as good as Lyon & Healy? #69263
    john-strand
    Participant

    Ariana – at my advanced age I have no interest in spending time reading about the fine points of argument – nor in verbal sparring – and even less in reading it when

    in reply to: Harp Sighting — Old Movie #111633
    john-strand
    Participant

    Turner Classic Movies the other night – Jimmy Cagney in “Something to Sing About” (1937) in the first part of the movie they are on a stage with a band, and there is a big gold harp to the left – during one of the shots, Jimmy is doing a very energetic dance and dances over to the harp and kicks the strings to make a gliss – during

    in reply to: Are Venus Harps as good as Lyon & Healy? #69255
    john-strand
    Participant

    Arianna – with all due respect, I don’t

    in reply to: Gloomy Sunday sheet music #111866
    john-strand
    Participant

    Hi there – well, you are in luck – Gloomy Sunday (which has quite a history if I remember rightly – Billie Holiday song – seems like Dorothy Ashby may have recorded it on one of her albums) is part of a batch of sheet music on ebay this week – put “gloomy sunday sheet” into the ebay search and you will get it – (I LUV LUV LUV ebay – its’ about the only reason I ever got started with computers – LOL)

    in reply to: Santa Came Early #111871
    john-strand
    Participant

    So there really IS a Santa Claus!!!

    in reply to: best pop harp player #103584
    john-strand
    Participant

    Verlye Mills had incredible chops – Mimi Allen

    in reply to: retuneing during a wedding #111978
    john-strand
    Participant

    Wanda – I am sad to hear about all Beth’s sorrows – it is way more than just a bad day and right on up there with tragic – we all have to deal with such issues at one time or another, and yet, it seems for some folks it can become overwhelming – I do hope that she has people around her that are able to understand and comfort her and help

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)