harpcolumn

Re: Gut Harp Strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Re: Gut Harp Strings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kent-vogel
    Participant

Could anyone offer some input on how I may go about researching the subject of gut harp strings. In other words, how they are manufactured and where. Thank you!

john-strand
    Participant

Hi – you can check the back issues of the American Harp Journal published by the American Harp Society – I remember that some years ago there was a very in-depth and detailed article with pictures concerning the whole process of gut string manufacture – There was also a video from Salvi about their harp manufacturing process which also included a section on gut string production – check with Salvi for the video – you might also write to Bow Brand strings, or any other major string manufacturer, and ask for information –

have fun –

kreig-kitts

I think it’s Pirastro that has a video on their web site about the process. It might be on YouTube as well.

kent-vogel
    Participant

Thank you all so very much! I feel the subject is crucial to the beauty of the harp.(Amongst the other aspects of course.)

Alison
    Participant

Bow Brand were featured on a BBC3 series about meat by products called

Biagio Sancetta
    Participant

Chiming in a bit late here….this is a pretty extensive description, although focused on violin strings the process is the same:
    Making Gut Stings – Gamut Music, Inc. | Early Music Strings and Historical Instruments

Biagio

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.