column

Re: Gut Harp Strings

Home Forums Coffee Break Re: Gut Harp Strings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kent-vogel
    Participant

Could anyone offer some input on how I may go about researching the subject of gut harp strings. In other words, how they are manufactured and where. Thank you!

john-strand
    Participant

Hi – you can check the back issues of the American Harp Journal published by the American Harp Society – I remember that some years ago there was a very in-depth and detailed article with pictures concerning the whole process of gut string manufacture – There was also a video from Salvi about their harp manufacturing process which also included a section on gut string production – check with Salvi for the video – you might also write to Bow Brand strings, or any other major string manufacturer, and ask for information –

have fun –

kreig-kitts

I think it’s Pirastro that has a video on their web site about the process. It might be on YouTube as well.

kent-vogel
    Participant

Thank you all so very much! I feel the subject is crucial to the beauty of the harp.(Amongst the other aspects of course.)

Alison
    Participant

Bow Brand were featured on a BBC3 series about meat by products called

Biagio Sancetta
    Participant

Chiming in a bit late here….this is a pretty extensive description, although focused on violin strings the process is the same:
    Making Gut Stings – Gamut Music, Inc. | Early Music Strings and Historical Instruments

Biagio

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.