jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Erard Harp #70019
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I have an old Erard too. The value depends, among other things, on cosmetic and acoustic condition. Good luck!

    in reply to: Buying First Harp #155269
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    By now you’ve probably discovered that the harp is a good sight more versatile than you thought, yes?

    But I would think that the Harpsicle is kind of limited as an ONLY harp. It also, being a lap harp, tends to slide all over your lap, even with one of those bars.

    in reply to: Any multi-instrumentalists out there? #155766
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Guitar, harp and banjo, in that order. Also fool with a bowed psaltery when I’m on vacation and don’t have room to schlep anything bigger.

    in reply to: Renting to own the Venus Prodigy #104146
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Small dinky harps? Don’t be so snooty! Some of those little guys are quite charming.

    in reply to: Ravenna 26? #70099
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The Ravenna’s not bad, but it does have a less firm stringing than, for example, a Trooby.

    in reply to: Carbon fiber harp #70060
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Just remembered–you’re in SC. Heartland Harps is in NC. Make an appointment and visit them. They’re nice folks.

    in reply to: Ever Have One of These Days? #104110
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    When my daughter was young, I read her lots of Russian fairy tales. To this day–she’s now in her thirties–when things go wrong, she quotes “Mornings are wiser than evenings” at me, meaning essentially that tomorrow is indeed another day.

    in reply to: Marie-Pierre Langlamet #146298
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’m glad to hear that! Berlin would have been my hometown if a war hadn’t interfered.

    in reply to: Carbon fiber harp #70059
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, this isn’t as good, but you could try the Heartland Harps website.

    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Folk and classical, especially Renaissance and Baroque–some of that I play both on guitar and on harp–and anything I particularly like that doesn’t fall into any particular category. Various kinds of ethnic music–Yiddish, Greek, Portuguese, Scottish–that might be described as folklike. I’m gonna try Klezmer on harp, why not? And blues.

    Tell the truth, I didn’t have anything specific like Irish in mind when I started to play the harp. I just wanted to play it and had wanted to for many years. My trio was going to be guitar, lute and harp, but I turned out playing guitar, harp and banjo instead.

    in reply to: heartland carbon fiber harps??? #70086
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I like the sound of their wooden harps better, but the light weight is a big plus, and so is the fact that you can leave them in the car without stressing them out. They are also very handsome, by which I mean the largest model.

    in reply to: Kinnor Harp Kinnor Harp #156215
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Check with the person selling you the harp or with the maker, if that is not the same person. Other than that you might have a hard time finding instructional materials for such an arcane instrument. Also check out YouTube: there are several videos featuring the kinnor. Watch them and/or e-mail the performers for advice.

    in reply to: The Strangest Harp I Never Saw… #70160
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Saul, if you can have guitar-string pasta (alla chitarra), then why not harp-string pasta? I have a guitar-string cheese-cutting device.

    in reply to: First Harp – help me decide #156382
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I got to try the Ravenna and thought it had a pretty good sound. The only thing I objected to was that you had to either stick it up on something or shoot out a thingy to turn it into the equivalent of a floor harp. I also didn’t like the look of blond wood combined with a black body, but it also comes in all-black, dark-green, or dark-red finish. Which cost more; nevertheless, good value.

    in reply to: Lever harp #156324
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    You need to give more information than that–e.g., Troubadour VI, mahogany finish, bought new in 2010 &c.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 602 total)