jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Choosing wood for lever harp #70298
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I always understood the denser the wood, the brighter the sound.

    in reply to: Choosing wood for lever harp #70293
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Maple is bright, walnut is mellow, and cherry falls in between. Cherry also deepens to a beautiful color.

    in reply to: First Harp – help me decide #156376
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I vote for Harp 2. It goes down to 2 octaves below middle C and it has more and better sharping levers.

    in reply to: what makes camacs sound bright? #70211
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Just a wild guess–the creator of Camac [Joel (?)] harps claimed to have been influenced by the old Erards. While I wouldn’t expect that to produce a brighter sound, who knows? It did result in a lighter-weight harp and one that was easier to play in the highest half-octave.

    in reply to: When the party runs into overtime- with no referee #146471
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    That’s nice to hear. In the earlier post, it was a case of a groomzilla being a colossal jerk.

    in reply to: Our Purpose as Musicians #104432
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I agree, but as for one’s parents–it isn’t that they don’t value music; they just worry about your being able to make a living.

    in reply to: Russian 46 pedal harp #156365
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Pilgrim Harps make a tiny pedal harp, the Progress, just 41 strings and a smidgin under 5 feet tall, that’s really pretty good. Worth considering if one becomes available.

    in reply to: Sad news for lovers of the Style 17 #70339
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Ebony and bronze 17? Wonderful!

    in reply to: Chicago Petite 40 – Natural, Ebony, or Mahogany? #70400
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Ebony.

    in reply to: Cruise Ship Gigs #146527
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Hmm, are you sure you wanna get involved with cruise ships??

    in reply to: Hooray for Harpywood! #104531
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    It was fun. There’s more than you imagined to putting music to a film. Lots of examples. What I knew instinctively but never put into words: some of the finest and most precise words-to-music relationships to be found in Tom and Jerry cartoons. Also one of the most amusing scenes in SINGING IN THE RAIN where the actress who has a hopeless voice has to attempt to match her face to the dubbed competent singer: I saw that when it first came out and my father remarked, “Eine Stimme wie eine rostige Gieskanne” (a voice like a rusty watering can).

    in reply to: Antiques Road Show #155644
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I have a 200+-year-old Erard (single-action ram’s-head), not in playing order, but just looking at it every morning inspires me.

    in reply to: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2012 #103954
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Nothing. Since you asked, that may give me the necessary kick in the pants. I am working on something, but on banjo.

    in reply to: Hooray for Harpywood! #104530
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’ll be there.

    in reply to: Unfinished measure #146592
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Nope, sounds like Nash, but it’s Gelett Burgess. He followed up some years later with

    Ah yes, I wrote the “Purple Cow.”

    I’m sorry now I wrote it.

    But I can tell you anyhow,

    I’ll kill you if you quote it!

    I’m sorry now Iw

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 602 total)