jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Research Project #156178
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    A good many years ago I told my guitar repairman (a violinist) that I would love to play the harp. He sniffed and said it was a very limited instrument. And him a pro!

    Well, eventually I did get to play the harp, and of course it was no sech thing as limited. But it took Deborah Henson-Conant to show me just how untrue that perception was. After hearing and seeing her, I went home and played some Leadbelly on the harp.

    Regarding the notion that the harp was a woman’s instrument: female guitarists have had to fight a similar prejudice.

    in reply to: New to the Harp #156184
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Did anybody mention that lap harps are not a great idea as a first harp? For one thing, you have to keep them from sliding all over your lap, which is not a problem with a floor harp.

    in reply to: My Fingertips Need HELP #146262
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    It could be worse. You could be a guitarist and have much worse calluses, though only on one hand.

    in reply to: Concert Advice #146293
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Well, there are several versions on YouTube, but I guess you’ll have checked those out already?

    in reply to: Here’s a thought/request! #69988
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yep, those are the three, and I’ve been known to fool with the balalaika and bowed psaltery too, but frankly, I don’t do all of them justice. And yes, I like a lot of different harps.

    in reply to: Pedal harps for petite players #69845
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Quite true, Eb is the way to go. That gives you the same choice of keys as a lever harp, but frees your left hand. A curiosity–some of the smallest, intended for kids, have only FIVE pedals. Can’t help wondering what they are and how you tune the darn thing.

    in reply to: Here’s a thought/request! #69986
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Deb, you need more lives than a cat to accommodate all the harps you like (and cello too)!

    in reply to: Xavier de Maistre – opinions on what makes him great #103695
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yep, sorry, you’re right.

    in reply to: Xavier de Maistre – opinions on what makes him great #103691
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I got to see him at the WHC in Vancouver and was blown away. Whatever it takes, he has it.

    in reply to: Pedal harps for petite players #69841
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Agreed, pretty neat little harp! I’m just a smidgin under 5’0″ and would love to have one.

    However, I think it wasn’t the smallest pedal harp ever made. It was the smallest L&H pedal harp ever made–but I think the Pilgrim Progress pedal harp was the smallest. Still being made, and it sounds pretty good. However, importing a harp costs an arm and a leg.

    Some of the Tyrolean harps are pretty small–but they’re single-action and not intended for classical music.

    in reply to: Installing Pedals on a Lever Harp #69997
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    No.

    in reply to: New harpist introduction #156213
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I play guitar, harp and banjo and picked them up in that order. They complement each other. Would not want to drop any one of them, though in a desert-island scenario, I would choose the harp.

    in reply to: Our Hands #146244
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Patricia, thank you. I remember I had the same problem WAY back in my teens and my mother made me lemon-juice jello and V8-jello to tackle it.

    For the folks with dry-skin problems: dunno if they still make it or not, but there was some stuff called Corn Huskers Lotion, mostly glycerine, that was very effective. Takes a good while to actually work it in.

    in reply to: Kinnor Harp Kinnor Harp #156219
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I think it’s because of the “King David” association; he probably played a lyre rather than an actual harp, no?

    in reply to: Our Hands #146236
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’m having trouble with my nails. Whether it’s aside effect of doing water aerobics or connected with diabetes, they look terrible, dry and ridgy–and I play guitar and banjo as well as harp!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 602 total)