harpcolumn

Any multi-instrumentalists out there?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Any multi-instrumentalists out there?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Karen Johns
    Participant

Oh good, a recommendation! Thanks, Audrey! But which one should I get? The low D really appeals to me, but I like the high notes too. Maybe I’ll get two- could you recommend a website/store I can order these from?

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

I started out playing the piano, picked up the saxaphone in Jr. High (sopranno, alto,and tenor), tampered with the flute. The pedal harp is now my primary instrument ( I chose a harp because I didn’t have room for a piano!). I now sing 2nd bass with Resounding Harmony and White Rock Community Church. There is a cello in my living room that I thought would be fun to learn but all I seem to do with it is tune it, then put it down!

Sid

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I would order directly from the Sweets.

Liam M
    Participant

Hmmmm Well I am still “Playing at” the wire harp and fumbling the lever…..

I am quite accomplished at the phonograph!
    LP and 45!
    Also the 8 Track, cassette and recently learned the CD!
    MP3s still elude me, but with time…….

My entire life I have looked upon those of you that play so beautifully and effortlessly with so much envy. Until I stumbled on the harp by pure chance, I never had any hope of ever learning any instrument… But, God willing, the low neck wire harp will some day be mine.

As the character of Michael Smith says in Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land, “I am only an egg”.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Without listeners and aspiring musicians the world would be full of chickens! LOL

Which leads us to the questions: Can there only be chickens without eggs (or vice -versa)? And which really did come first?

But now I have really gone off the deep end…time to go play with my harp in my little padded room now…

unknown-user
    Participant

My hubby is laying claim to his PC tonight – since I monopolise it most of the time (evil grin), so if he wants his PC he’ll have to promise to leave me in peace to play my harp

Liam M
    Participant

Ach Fiona and I remember CRYSTAL RADIOS!!

I had a AKAI 360XD Reel to Reel, State of the art!! And now it all slips into your pocket!!

Stephen Conor
    Participant

Wow, you sure do know a lot of instruments to play. I am also thinking of having

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Guitar, harp and banjo, in that order. Also fool with a bowed psaltery when I’m on vacation and don’t have room to schlep anything bigger.

angel-zhao
    Participant

The word “multi-instrumentalist” is still quite new to me, even though I’ve been one for a while.

The instruments under “since” are the ones that either I still play regularly or I feel I have enough proficiency/interest that I will eventually pick up again.

Since age 5: piano
    Primary school: small marching drum, marching baton
    Since junior high: flute
    High school: conga
    Since age 20: shamisen, ocarina
    Dabbled in: harmonica, accordion, guitar, french horn, bass clarinet, etc.

I’m looking forward to starting my lever harp studies this year. Somewhere down the road I’d like my main instruments to be guqin, tsugaru shamisen and lever harp (yes, all string instruments!), with piano, ocarina and flute on the side.

lisa-davis
    Participant

first music degree in flute & piano. have also performed professionally on recorder, organ, harp (of course), handbells, and mallet percussion (xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, and those glockenspiels that seem to keep popping up).

Oddly enough, my master’s is in vocal and choral music education. ;-)

I get the itch to take up another instrument every time I hear a good cello player…….

Just shows how much music totally gets under your skin, into your heart, and fills up your life. :-).

:-) Lisa

I have a B.Mus. in organ performance/church music (which included study of the harpsichord to the point of playing continuo in orchestras), and vocal music education,

Louise Hirst

I started on the flute when I was about 8 (I’m 17 now) now play a bit of guitar, main instrument is piano. I’m not sure if these all count under flute but I also play Dizi, Xiao, fife. Tin Whistle, Recorder and Ocarina 🙂 I hope to add Harp onto this though, I don’t think you can learn too many XD

randal
    Participant

Well I just added hurdy gurdy last week–on which I started playing my repertoire of Irish tunes that I also play on:

harp, hammered dulcimer, fiddle, mandolins (& mandola, cittern, bouzouki), tenor banjo, concertina, melodeon, Boehm flute

Also studied classical and flamenco guitar for 35+ years–fnally gave it up and now apply these energies to harp–also play 5-string banjo, doublebass, saxophone and clarinets, pedal steel,

shelby-m
    Participant

I’ve been playing flute for almost 12 years, alto flute for about a year, harp for almost 2 years, and I have 3 years collectively on piano (and I’ll be taking piano lessons again when I get to college this fall).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics