Christian Frederick

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152079
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Thank you Mel,

    I know my answer was a little overboard for the original question. I just want to encourage Mr. S to use this experience to become the best he can.

    I was playing last night and analyzing my playing, and discovered I use more of the reverse 10ths to double melody, which is actually a 6ths. It really is hard to explain art sometimes.

    in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152077
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Regarding open octaves….

    Open octaves on the harp expose a misaligned overtone system, which ironically, if used properly, can add to the warmth of the instrument. After tuning hundreds of pianos, I hear things other people don’t, so this is where I am coming from.

    I remember back in the 1980s actually buying other people’s pop arrangements to study (not to perform!) and saw open octaves so many times. It has a very old-fashioned and out-dated sound in pop music, in my opinion.

    There are other open-intervals that work much better to the contemporary sounds in music. Here are some I use a LOT.

    In the bass: Open 10ths
    In the treble: 3rds
    Open 5ths from the mid-range up
    Open 6ths and Open 10ths from the mid-range up

    6ths and and 10th can actually be the same thing flip-flopped. I use this more than anything else to create a warm sound. Doubling a melody with open 10ths can be very warm and beautiful.

    Also, the lower on a harp or piano, the farther apart the intervals need to be. If you play tight intervals in the lower ranges of a harp, the sound will be very muddy.

    I know this may sound very technical, but I just want to clarify where I am coming from having a piano, harp, piano tuning, guitar, clarinet, tuba, and composing background.

    in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152070
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Also….

    Get yourself a couple of “fake books”. You can now order them on the Internet. Years ago, we had to buy them in the back room at the music store because they were illegal.

    Also, as Mel suggested, simple piano arrangements (and always, with the chord symbol written in!!!) are a great way to start. If the chord symbol is not written in, write it in yourself.

    Sorry Mel, but I disagree with you on one thing. Never, and I mean never, play a melody in octaves. This is probably the worst sound on a harp. It works on a piano sometimes, but never on a harp. Just my two cents… and just to let you know that I am a “recovering piano tuner”, so whenever I hear open octaves on a harp, it makes me very uncomfortable. In fact, it makes me want to scream!

    Also……. I stress again MEMORIZE! You are on stage. You are an entertainer. You are being watched as well as being listened to. I’m glad my piano teacher when I was a child (started piano in 1962) stressed this to me. It was one of the greatest lessons I ever learned.

    in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152067
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Saul..

    that was rude…..

    in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152064
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    First, congratulations on having and keeping a steady gig! That’s a huge accomplishment.

    Second, do whatever you can to get a cheap or donated harp to practice at home. You have to do this! You also may want to get a small electric keyboard or piano to work on things.

    Your goal should be to memorize tunes. Memorize the basic tunes and chords, then each time you play them at the hotel, try to do something different with them.

    Set realistic goals. Mine is to learn (by learning, I MEAN memorize!) one tune a month. Maybe at this point, you can learn one tune a week. That means you learn over 50 tunes in one year.

    Also, make sure you learn tunes your audience knows and recognize, as well as music that is your own personal favorites.

    Hope this helps……..

    in reply to: do you like teh beatles? #110261
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Yes, yes, yes….

    Check this out. Jake Shimabukuru on the Ukulele playing a George Harrison tune. This guy is truly an inspiration to me, more than any harpist has ever been.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103104
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Here’s an encounter with someone very special to me.

    in reply to: Where is the International Harp Museum? #161653
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I’ve been told by the local harp community that Jan Jennings is involved with this project. It would be interesting to hear from her on this board.

    in reply to: More Casper Reardon #103456
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    This guy was incredible! Why have I not heard of him? That was a glorious time for musicians!!! Here’s a great clip.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-wOAPopTJs

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103089
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Carl,

    What are you talking about? He’s real!

    The photo was taken outside the entrance of the Venetian hotel. I wonder if he melts during the summer?

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103087
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I was in Las Vegas last month on my honeymoon and had an encounter with Nicholas Cage.

    in reply to: for Rachel Avery #110486
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    JP,

    It had to do with the last line of the USA Pledge of Allegiance:

    “With Liberty and Justice for All”

    in reply to: Sylvia Woods store is moving #110570
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I was just in La Crescenta, and the new Sylvia Woods store is only blocks away from my church (where I got married), so I stopped by to say hello.

    in reply to: Carbon fiber harp #160295
    Christian Frederick
    Participant
    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102817
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Catherine, I second the motion “Ye gods!”

    At this moment, I’m very happy to have my humble 1960’s ranch home, drive my three year old mini-van, have health insurance, and I get to pick and choose my friends. I guess that makes me a wealthy man.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 182 total)