Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Christian Frederick
ParticipantBernhard,
Please tell us more about midi harp….
Christian Frederick
ParticipantI forgot to add…..
This is an example of a HIJACKED thread, which is about the only thing happeng lately.
Christian Frederick
ParticipantThis thread is a good example of:
1) Mob mentality
2) Bullying
and to quote from a recent thread under Harps and Accessories:
“….. just a bunch of so called adults acting like a bunch of spoiled spiteful children with the need to bully others not part of their pecking order or group.”
Christian Frederick
ParticipantHi Phyllis,
Thanks, but I’m not in the market now for another harp. I’m happily set for many years with my two L&H concert harps. BTY, your personal email bounced back to me.
Christian Frederick
ParticipantSince I’m the poor sucker that started this thread, I’d like to move that we move on and end this now.
Is there someone that can second this motion?
All those in favor say aye.
Meeting ajourned.
Amen.
PS… Thank you Kim for all you do for the harp world. Thanks and love being sent your way!
Christian Frederick
ParticipantAhh… John,
My absolute favorite place on planet earth. I’ve dreamed for many decades living across the street from Balboa Park in San Diego. I would spend my senior years smelling the flowers, watching the people, having the most wonderful lunches, seeing live theatre (in several of the theatres..and smelling jet fumes under the stars in the summer), riding my bike, performing at special events, and attending the San Diego Zoo on a weekly basis.
Oh….. that is my favorte spot on this earth………….
Christian Frederick
ParticipantHi Barbara,
I read ALL the fine print in every contract I sign. I’ve refused to sign a contract with a local music contractor because she was requesting to be my exclusive agent for all Sea World / Anheiser Bush owned properties. The contract was probably illegal, but I did the gig for her without a signed contract. From what I understand, many other harpists have signed that contract.
I’ve had instrument insurance thorugh the AHS and American String Teacher’s association over the years. Check the exclusions in your policy. You may need a magnifying glass.
I’ve considered retiring on the coast, but was always afraid of moving my grand piano to a beach front condo. After the last couple of hurricane seasons, I’ll stay inland.
I wish I could afford to retire on the tiny island of Manhatten, New York! Then I would technically move to the coast…….
Christian Frederick
ParticipantOh my goodness………
So, back to the original subject.
David, you seem to be one big step ahead of me and my average knowledge of the world.
Do you think that carbon fibre is a potential substitue for the metal parts of a pedal harp? How would this work in the real world? Are there other substitutes in the real world that are stonger and don’t rust, such as other metal and alloys?
I’m just curious…..
And also, now I know that there are people in the harp manufacturing world that actually read these fantasies of full-time musicians, such as myself, who live in the real world, making a living playing music.
Christian Frederick
ParticipantDoes anyone have insight if the traditional exposed metal part of a harp (tuning pins, nuts, pedals, discs, etc.) can be made with a carbon based material?
I did notice that the tuning pins on the violins, violas, and cellos are made of a carbon based material.
There is an interesting story at the Luis and Clark website (under Natural Disasters) that explains the success story of a cello surviving two weeks under water after Hurricane Katrina.
I also have noticed that the instrument insurance policies exclude intruments within a certain distance from the ocean. I’ve heard horror stories how the metal parts of a piano along the coast have been destroyed within a year. I’m sure the harp would be the same.
Christian Frederick
ParticipantOK. I started this thread. I feel it’s been hijacked. I’d like to request that we bring it back to the original subject. Rosemary and Carl, I would love to see both of you start another thread, and then I can choose not to read it. In so many words, Carl had let us know he is NOT a gigging harpist.
As a gigging harpist, I would like a concert grand harp, under 50 pounds, that I can play in outdoor venues in wet Central Florida, or play seaside wedding cermonies in Vero Beach. Then, if needed, all I would have to do is wipe off the moisture or sea spray. I can’t do this with a traditional wood instrument.
Thank you Sherry Lennox for trying to bring this thread back to the original subject. Yes, YoYo Ma has played glorious music on carbon fibre instruments. From my personal experience, the carbon fibre instruments are superior to wood in many ways. I do, hopefully, see it’s use to develop in harps.
PS. Saul, fyi, carbon fibre is NOT plastic.
Christian Frederick
ParticipantKreig,
I checked out Andrew Thom’s website ( http://www.thom.tascom.net/
Christian Frederick
ParticipantOh my Carl…. that’s really dark. If Henry Ford had that attitude, maybe we would all be driving horse and buggy style.
Christian Frederick
ParticipantI find the beginning of this thread disturbing, but thanks to David, Victor, Sam, Paul and some others, there is a glimmer of hope.
This kind of reminds me of the song by Sting, “If You Love Somebody Set them Free”.
I can’t even stomach the idea of studying with ONE teacher. Yikes… Another quote… this one from Mame. “Life Is A Banquet, And Most Poor Suckers Are Starving To Death!”
Christian Frederick
ParticipantEllizabeth,
It all depends on your preference….
Christian Frederick
ParticipantDiane…. Love your humor!
Actually, you opened up an entirely new subject. I learned a wonderful habit playing stride piano for a living (early jazz / Fats Waller), mainly from listening to my favorite pianist Judy Carmichael (www.judycarmichael.com). I tap my left foot to keep rhythm. It’s easier to do on piano, but I also do it all the time on the harp. The problem with wearing shoes is the noise from keeping rhythm with my left foot, so wearing socks is truly the solution for the style of rhythmic playing I do for a living on the harp also.
Now for the panties….. do men’s boxer shorts count?
-
AuthorPosts