harpcolumn

Encounters with Famous people

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Encounters with Famous people

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

Here’s an encounter with someone very special to me.

Liam M
    Participant

My son and I sailed into an event one time. We tied up and my son went off exploring. I was below when I heard, “Papa, Wally and I are coming aboard”

Jan Jennings
    Participant

I had the pleasure of meeting many celebrities during the years I played at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress (Carl Reiner, Billy Joel, Henry Mancini, Tony Bennett, Robert Goulet, Carol Burnett and several others).

Janna B.
    Participant

Fun topic!

I recently met President Mary McAleese of Ireland when she came to Portland to dedicate the Irish famine memorial.

karen-conoan
    Participant

Around 1968 Itzak Perlman stayed at our small State College (Wayne State College in Nebraska). He presented a recital and also gave lessons to the string majors. He ate with us in the cafeteria and friendly to all the students. It seemed “normal” at the time and now I am amazed that I had the opportunity to spend time with such an amazing person and performer.

Another time I was called to substitute for a harpist to play background music during a pre-nuptial dinner. The godmother of the bride was Tricia Nixon Eisenhower; she and David Eisenhower were at the dinner. Afterward she came up and asked me if I would like to hear a story about Ike & Mamie’s wedding and of course I responded, “yes.” She said Ike & Mamie Eisenhower had a harpist at their wedding (I think in Colorado) and they requested “Home on the Range” as one of the songs, because of having ranching backgrounds. What a great story, and I thought she was gracious to take the time to tell me. Most often a person doesn’t meet the honored guests when playing dinner music.

unknown-user
    Participant

In 1978 I worked in the movie Breaking Away and, along with much of that cast and crew, met Cynthia Scheider, who did the editing of the film, and I knew she was the wife of Roy Scheider, who was recently then famous for “Jaws”.

During an early viewing of a rough cut of the film in New York I met Mr. Scheider, who walked in on a very cold January day wearing an old army fatigue jacket. It was a thrill for me- the movie cast itself was then a bunch of unknown players, but this was Sheriff Brody!

I was saddened to learn just last night during the Oscars that he had died during the year.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I realize this is an ancient thread, but I had to revisit it.

In 1981 a number of people from western Pacific

carl-swanson
    Participant

Last year Michel LeGrand was in Boston to play a few nights at a jazz club in Cambridge. His wife is Catherine Michel, who is one of my oldest friends. She called me a day or so in advance of their arrival to tell me they were coming and said she would have two tickets waiting for me at the first show. I went alone and she and I sat in the back of the room catching up. At the end of the show she said that she and Michel were going to have dinner in the hotel restaurant and could I join them? Of course i said yes, and spent a wonderful evening listening to Michel tell stories about his incredible career.

Amber M
    Participant

I’ve met a few…was waiting in line at LAX with Viggo Mortenson (another guy waaay shorter than expected!), and in the course of work have met George W and Laura Bush, Rumsfeld, Abizaid, Odierno, Tony Blair, etc.

My husband is a ballroom dance teacher, and was teaching in a studio in Monterey, CA. I stopped by the studio one evening, and he introduced me to his student at the time. I apologized to her for staring, and said she just looked really familiar. In a rather haughty tone she replied ‘well, I AM an actress!’

Turned out she was Barbara Babcock…and none too pleased I didnt know that immediately! ;-)

emma-graham
    Participant

I was lucky enough to win tickets to the premiere of The Two Towers. It was in Paris and we got to go to the after party too and stay in a 5 star hotel. Met most of the cast and crew. It was totally surreal but the weirdest thing is that I actually know one of the films conceptual designers quite well but he wasn’t there!

Last year I played at the wedding of Rod Stewart’s father in law. Rod was best man. He was lovely.

When I was 15 years old, I served Marie Osmond an ice cream cone, and recall her seeming so much prettier in person; and later that summer had to serve Jim Nabors lunch. I couldn’t look at him as I was afraid I’d burst out in uncontrollable laughter. A bit more obscure, I served Tom Rush, a favorite folksinger.
    When I was 18, I drove to Marlboro College for an interview, and stopped to ask an elderly man the directions to a building. He obligingly explained how to get where I needed to go, and as I drove away I realized I’d just been speaking to Rudolph Serkin, one of the great pianists of the time.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Hey Sarah, I don’t know who Neil Gaiman is, but I thought that was Howard Stern. Sure looks like him…

carl-swanson
    Participant

I just thought of a funny little encounter I had last summer(a year ago). I got a call from Joanna Newsome’s manager who said that she was going to be in Boston for 5 days on vacation and needed a harp in her hotel room for that time. He told me when she was arriving at the hotel and what time I should be there to deliver the harp. I didn’t think to ask for her phone number and he didn’t offer it to me. So I got to the hotel at the appointed time, when to the front desk, and asked which room Newsome was in. The desk clerk looked and looked but couldn’t find a Newsome. UGH! I thought. She’s not listed here under her own name. I went home and called her manager, leaving a message on his machine. I also called my good friend Bill Grant, who is the resident harp technician in New York and who I knew had done work for her there. He didn’t have her number, but assured me the manager would call back soon, which he did. I explained the problem. He said she’s listed under Samberg. Not knowing that her significant other is Andy Samberg of Saturday Night Live, I went back to the hotel and asked for Sam Berg. No Sam Berg there. This time I remembered to bring the manager’s number with me and I called him. Look, I said, I really need to have her cell number. I promise I won’t misuse it. But I have to be able to communicate directly with her. He gave me the number and I called. She came down immediately and got the instrument. When I told her what had happened, she said “I thought you had this number.” She was very apologetic and gracious. On my way out of the hotel I passed Steven King hailing a cab.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies