Christian Frederick

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Sightings! #109607
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Ahhhh….. but the harps at The Haunted Mansion are “ghostly harps”!

    in reply to: Do rings get in the way? #109562
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Soo……. it is my understanding that Lucile Lawrence advocated that nail polish impedes the sound quality of the harp / harpist. Am I correct?

    in reply to: Do rings get in the way? #109558
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I’ve been wearing my marriage/commitment ring on my right hand for 28 years. I was only playing piano back then, but since I place stride piano with walking 10ths and often play with a flat left hand to reach large intervals, I could not play with a ring on my left hand.

    Now since I’ve been playing harp for 25 years, I do lots of 10ths and large intervals on the harp with my left hand, which flattens the left hand and a ring on the left hand actually hits the bass strings.

    Soo…… it’s only a ring on my right hand, which works very well for both piano and harp.

    in reply to: Royal Harpist accused of burglary and fraud #109621
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I agree with Saul. She very well may be innocent. Possibly, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or another scenario.

    in reply to: American Idol #106171
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I was impressed that you were playing by memory! Wow. That takes a lot of trust of yourself, and the singer has to trust you.

    Did you have a lyric-chord chart-sheet music monitor just in case of a “senior moment”?

    Flawless!

    in reply to: Michel Legrand on Harp #109675
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I’m a Michel Legrand junkie. He’s my favorite composer ever! Right now I’m in the process of learning (memorizing) all the songs from the movie Yentl.

    His music interprets very well on piano. But…… unless you are very advanced on the harp, his music, in general, is VERY difficult on harp because of multiple key changes, very often several in one bar. He does not go around the circle of fifths (which is easy on the harp), but rather goes from flat keys to sharp keys from beat to beat. His music can sound very clunky on the harp, even for very advanced harpists.

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling on youtube #151997
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Thanks for sharing Carl. I’ve learned more in my musical life by watching and listening to great performers, more than any lesson(s) and more than any one teacher could ever teach me.

    in reply to: Something totally silly #109875
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    David,

    That is the funniest thing I’ve ever seen! My favorite is Jive.

    in reply to: pedal diagrams #86077
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Briggsie,

    That is VERY funny! I had a good chuckle.

    Some people here are sounding like the Fox News version of the Harp World.

    in reply to: Please celebrate with me today….. #110088
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Thanks all….

    Yesterday passed just like any other day, except they gave me a pin to officially be “Disney Ambassador of the Day.”

    Jennifer…. I would love to say hi. Email me few weeks before. Here’s my normal schedule if there are no changes.

    Grand Floridian Resort (next to the Magic Kingdom on the hotel monorail line)

    Sundays: Lobby Piano 3-9 PM

    Mondays: Lobby Piano 3-9 PM

    Tuesdays: Victoria & Albert’s Harp (reservations required)

    Wednesdays: Victoria & Albert’s Harp (reservations required)

    Thursdays: Lobby Piano 3-9 PM

    The lobby is open to the public and accessible from the monorail.

    Also, I put together a small online photo gallery. I wish I had more photos of the people who have touched my life on this journey.

    http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/pianoandharpguy/

    in reply to: Videos of Great Harpists #166676
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Hey, check out the unique way this guy plays a harp!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gupxeIsxkfc

    in reply to: Proud Father #110201
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Congratulations!

    I’m sure lots of us would enjoy the honor of you

    in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152087
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Diane,

    I’m looking for new music to learn. I’ve had requests for Coldplay. Do you think Clocks is a good tune to learn?

    The last couple of years I’ve had trouble finding new music.

    in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152084
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Both. A lot of the harp I play has evolved from piano. It’s a very similar instrument, except since the harp does not have dampers, the harp usually has less notes in the lower and mid section.

    Also, I’ve been thinking about this thread, and in my opinion, simple and easy piano arrangements work best on harp for starters. Then you can change and evolve those arrangements to works best for you. There are a lot of easy piano arrangement books available to purchase on the Internet.

    I think easy piano arrangements work much better than harp arrangements. I have fond no harp arrangements that work for me, or that I would recommend. I encourage people to continually add their own ideas and eventually the arrangements become totally theirs. You may want to view other people’s harp arrangements to study, but I do not recommend playing them in public.

    in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152081
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Hi… I’m not sure if I totally understand your question, but you speak English better than I speak Russian, so I applaud you.

    Do you mean you play seven nights a week? You really need at least one or two days off a week.

    Also, how long is your shift? If it is four hours, you can play 40 minutes and take a 20 minute break. When I take a break, I usually walk, get some fresh air, and do little exercises, such as shake or swing my arms a little.

    You should definitely play music that works for you. So, if you are a classical player, then play some classical music each set. But, you should also play music the audience recognizes, so I think French love songs are good as you mentioned earlier. I play for a lot of tourists from the Northeast in the USA, and that is the center for Broadway musicals, so I play a lot of Broadway show tunes and the audience loves it. A good bet to start is learn some music from Phantom Of The Opera. Worldwide audiences love that show more than any other! And of course, please try to avoid playing an entire set from printed music. Memorizing is very, very, very important.

    I’m ALWAYS working on new music, since I started my first steady gig in 1974. If you play the same old tunes night after night you will become bored.

    Hope this helps. Please keep a positive attitude. Be nice to everyone, especially the staff of the hotel.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 182 total)