Christian Frederick

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: You Tube #104208
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Hello Harpists… My apologies for not posting a harp video. It’s coming… I promise. Next month I’m giving a concert and having it video taped. Then, I’ll have four 1-hour concerts of video to edit from.

    In the meantime, I found another short piano video of myself. I don’t even know what I’m playing, but when I watch this, I’m glad I had Classical technical training… I think it paid off ergonomically.

    Harp video to follow soon…. I promise!

    http://www.laughingplace.com/Videos-View-37.asp

    in reply to: Do you support you local public radio? #110991
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Yes… I’ve supported them for years.

    I listen to four NPR stations in my car only. I usually listen to the jazz programs occasionally, 4 PM news on the local NPR, and two NPR stations on Sirius Satellite Radio. By donating to my local station, money eventually goes all over.

    I do not listen to Classical Radio on NPR. I listen to the Classical stations on Satellite Radio. If I’m in the mood for elevator music, I listen to Classical Pop, but if I want drama, I listen to Opera. It’s my choice, and I like choices.

    in reply to: Sylvia Woods store is moving #110569
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I just read online that the last time the Glendale Symphony Orchestra performed was December 2006. Does anyone know what happened to this once thriving orchestra? In fact, it was so popular that there was a spin-off orchestra called Symphony Of The Verdugos. Is it all dead?

    Very depressing………………………

    in reply to: Sylvia Woods store is moving #110563
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Wow…. sounds like retirement to me. Sylvia has worked very hard for many years. Sylvia and I were raised in the La Crescenta-Montrose-Glendale area and went to the same high school. Just for fun, here’s a link to Sylvia’s (Snyder) high school alumni website posting.

    http://www.cvfalcons.com/alumni/classof68mz.html

    While we’re reminiscing, here’s a link to my (Voegele) alumni posting.

    http://www.cvfalcons.com/alumni/classof73mz.html

    I truly miss living in the foothills of Southern California. It’s such a great area.I will miss driving by Sylvia’s store when I visit home.

    in reply to: You Tube #104196
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Oops…..

    I gave you the last post… that’s not me.

    Here I am.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OTAfJnkVX4

    in reply to: You Tube #104195
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Since I spend half my musical time on harp and the other half on piano, I thought I’d share this YouTube clip I just found of me on the piano. I never thought I’d see the day when our daily activities can end up for public display…

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZcwXi4A808

    in reply to: The 50th percentile harpist #111294
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I nominate Saul.

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145784
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Related subject, from another harpist.

    We’re all familiar with those plastic sandwich bags that gut strings come in? Well, I once had a harpist tell me she/he saved those bags to divide and store cocaine. I guess she/he was spending a little too much money on that stuff rather than just buy brand new sandwich bags at Walmart.

    Go figure……

    in reply to: Harp Sighting #110121
    Christian Frederick
    Participant
    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145772
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    This is a little different. It’s not a comment at a gig, so maybe it should be another thread.

    It was April 1984. I called my parents to tell them I had just rented a harp and was going to learn how to play the harp. The first thing that came out of my father’s mouth was “ONLY SISSIES PLAY THE HARP!”. It was at that precise moment that I realized that I no longer needed my father’s approval, and that it was a good thing that I was living in Florida and my parents lived in California. Other than knowing what buttons to push to control people, my father was charming, generous, and the life of a party (Carl… I’m sure you can relate to this personality trait).

    So, almost 24 years have gone by. My dad has passed away, and I’ve SUCCESSFULLY incorporated the harp into my long and successful musical career.

    I’m a firm believer that life is ultimately about choices. We all have good and bad experiences in life, and we all have the free will and choice how to deal with every single thing, good or bad, that happens to us. We can choose to be happy or sad, and we can choose to be successful or become a victim.

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103073
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Don,

    That’s a good one! 🙂

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103067
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    An interesting encounter with a famous person in my career was circa 1994. A lady came up to me and said Miss Rogers thanked me for playing “Embraceable You”. This was Ginger Rogers’ assistant, and Miss Rogers was in her wheelchair on the other side of the room. Within months, Ginger Rogers pass away.

    Over the years, and the most recent, and the most complimentary of anyone, was Joan Rivers. Wow, she certainly had no trouble expressing her appreciation of my music. Such a cool lady!

    I often find that other performers know how we all need reassurance from peers. The most meaningful compliments to me are from other people in show business.

    in reply to: New Sweeney Todd Soundtrack #111311
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I don’t know who the harpist for Sweeney Todd… but…

    Did anyone see THE KITE RUNNER? I came out about the same time, and there is a harp credit for JoAnn Turovsky. She was incredible. The movie is one of my all-time favorites also…..

    in reply to: best pop harp player #103585
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I can’t believe that nobody mentioned the name of, what I believe to be the quintessential “pop” harpist alive,

    in reply to: New to harp and have some questions. #164294
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Bernhard,

    I would love for you to start a thread on this subject. I know nothing about MIDI harp, but will eagarly look forward to your expertise.

    I’ve thought for a long time that MIDI, not Electric Harp, may be the direction in the future for non-traditional harp. We certainly saw how MIDI has taken over the acoustic piano in many venues.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 182 total)