Christian Frederick

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Background music gigs, w or w/o music? #148889
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    ….. it all depends. I happen to memorize everything, but that may have evolved having had issues with my eyes all my life. But, when playing background music (which I mostly do for a living), I’ve always got three or four new songs on my music stand that I am in the process of memorizing.

    So, it all depends on the way your brain and eyes are wired. There is nothing wrong with playing from music for background, but it is better to be free and make eye contact and gestures with your audience. I do draw the line with someone flipping from page to page in a fake book…. that is really bad show…

    Also, I also don’t like soloists reading music on stage. I heard a great harpist this past summer doing that, so I closed my eyes to hear her beautiful not to be distracted by her reading music in a concert setting…..

    in reply to: Ouch! Replaced by a Synthesizer? #149237
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I love this thread….

    This reminds me of a time long ago before the advancement of sampled sounds. It was circa 1977, I was still in college at CSUN (Southern California) living in Glendale. I was asked to play the piano for a production of MAME at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. It was a community project using talent from Pasadena and the Los Angeles area. Of course the budget was low, and I was asked to play both the piano and the harp part on the upright Baldwin piano…. so I did for a long weekend of performances. I remember the conductor saying “just play all the harp glissandos on the black notes!” So, that was seven years before I ever touched a harp string, but I would say it was my introduction to playing the harp.

    So, replacing the harp is not a new phenomenon, but now synthesized sound has become soooooooo advanced, it’s hard not to recognize it’s potential.

    in reply to: harp covers #73263
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Yes…. I’m very pleased. I love her padded covers. On my last order, I had her add a strip that fits tightly around the base of my L&H 30. It fits perfect and protects the exterior of the base.

    So my rating is AAA+………

    http://harpcovers.com/

    in reply to: Where Have You Played Your Harp? #107654
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Sherj… I’d like to hang out where Paul does in post #10!

    Have a nice evening…… :-)

    in reply to: Where Have You Played Your Harp? #107647
    Christian Frederick
    Participant
    in reply to: Matchbox Twenty harp…..backwards?! #149711
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Very creative! My guess is that they guy plays keyboard, and the natural progression is the bass to the left and the treble to the right. Other than that explanation, he would be VERY limited to what he could do from that position. It kind of reminds me of Victor Borge playing piano laying down on the piano bench….

    in reply to: Conference Dreams #107997
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    …. I also wanted to add that Gerardo Tamez is an outstanding composer. His Concerto Dos Dalias commissioned by Jim & Pat Wooster was outstanding!

    in reply to: Conference Dreams #107996
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    …. well said. Every single performance was outstanding…

    Of course, I love music that makes you want to sing and dance. HarpCore4, Louise Trotter, Christa Grix, the cocktail hour harpists, and Celso Duarte 1 & 2, plus others enlightened my life…

    Even if the composition is not to my taste, I was amazed at the wonderful performers / technicians. I found myself jumping out of my seat to applaud Alice Giles, even though each time I hear Salzedo’s compositions I dislike them more…

    Applause to all…….

    in reply to: Finger Care #108025
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Hi Kathy… I discovered this by accident. So, us guys with Eastern European decent tend to loose hair on top in our 30s and grow hair on our neck and shoulders. So rather than waxing (tried that once), I bought some Nair and used it on my shoulders and put it on with my hands. Then I discovered that my hands became very smooth, and the squeaking / harsh contact with the harp strings cleared up. So now, about every month or two, I apply Nair to my hands for about 8-10 minutes.

    in reply to: Finger Care #108020
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I know exactly what you are talking about. It’s almost like layers of skin forming. Try this…. dab some Nair or equivalent hair remover on your hands. Let it stay on for no more than ten minutes, then rinse throughly. Wow, your finger tips will remain smooth for many weeks / months…..

    in reply to: Electronic Harp Tuner #70709
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    … just an update that I’ve discovered the iTick metronome app for my iPhone… for free! Wow, the world is changing quickly…

    in reply to: Bob Maxwell #150066
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    David….

    So glad you are active and healing!!! You should be interviewed also for future generations!

    in reply to: Bob Maxwell #150064
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Kim… would love to see Robert as the featured artist in The Harp Column soon!

    in reply to: Electronic Harp Tuner #70706
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    ” the octave harmonic (which is the most important overtone) “

    …. this statement sums up everything. My ears hear the octave harmonics more than anything else on a harp.

    Also, Kathy, I think saying this may make sense, that tuning the lower string slightly flat in relation to the octave overtone created with the string an octave above the string you are tuning.

    OK… it’s my day off and I’m looking forward to memorizing some new music….. y’all have a great day….

    in reply to: Electronic Harp Tuner #70701
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    ….. this just happens to be something that is my demon. At a WHC conference, I walked out of the Salzedo harp concert because the harps were so out of tune, and out of tune with each other….

    I always tune my upper octaves a little sharp by ear, and the lower octaves a little flat.

    I don’t believe in hell, so you’re not going to burn 🙂 ….. you play harp, so you’re going to heaven….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 182 total)