Christian Frederick

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Composing music #145862
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Are there any wealthy and noble harpists out there that can help?

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102812
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    G.G. wrote:

    “She shows the irony of the harp, an instrument of the wealthy and noble…”

    Well… I am neither wealthy or noble, so obviously this person is not talking about me or my music…. I’d like to know which harpists who contribute to this forum are wealthy and noble….. :-)

    in reply to: Harps and Critters #110588
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Does Mickey and Minnie count?

    I actually have had Goofy play a duet with me on the piano.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102801
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Hi Ann,

    I stated I did not hear this number because I really don’t have a first hand opinion about this particular composition.

    But…. I’ve been to about a dozen AHS and WHC conferences, and try to go to the “new music” or “experimental music” harp performances. From MY experiences, ALL, and I repeat ALL, the music in this category has been absolutely awful. I also want to say that absolutely ALL the harpist were fabulous.

    The most popular comment I hear about the composer is “that’s clever”. There usually is a small group of ladies who must follow this music, as I’ve seen them at the concerts and they seem to find merit in the music. I have not found any merit, but I’ve been blessed by hearing some great harpists.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102799
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Lavinia,

    I’m really glad you responded. I did not see this work performed. I’m sure you were fabulous! It’s the context of bad music I have seen at these performances that I object to.

    Your response kind of explains the uncomfortable feeling I have about applauding. I ALWAYS applaud for the performer. Sometimes it takes a great performer to perform a piece of trash. But then I am uncomfortable, because my applause is always for the harpist, NOT the composer.

    I’d still like to see some legitimate harpists-composers who have other accomplishments, such a movie scores and TV, write new music.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102793
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    This is a great conversation, mainly because this subject has perplexed me for years. I can only imagine how bad the above so-call new composition is, judging on all the “new music” I have heard at AHS and WHC conferences.

    I am not easily offended unless the intention is to hurt someone. For example, I am offended when I receive an email joke that make fun of people for their god-given attributes, such as jokes targeting handicap people.

    I agree with David:
    >>”I can’t define pornography,” one judge once famously said, “but I know it when I see it.” (Justice Stewart in Jacobellis v. Ohio 378 US 184 (1964).

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102788
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I’m hoping Emily decides to compose for harp. Oh my God! This is pure, unabridged talent!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUx4t4W4eVY&NR=1

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102787
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    Bonnie,

    I found a VERY short clip of this scene. It’s about 20 seconds into the movie preview. Don’t blink or you will miss it!

    http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1084948761/

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102786
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    The sequel is even better! It’s much more harpistic.

    Check this out and l”.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0zgQAp7EYw&feature=related

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102785
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    I question the integrity of an individual when they use a pseudonym such as “A Harpist”. Very likely, this could have been the composer, the artistic director, or the programmer…. most likely someone from the world of academia.

    I’m going to try to transcribe for harp the following composition from “NORA” as seen on YouTube and submit it as an anonymous composition for WHC in Vancouver.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ860P4iTaM

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102780
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    David you are brilliant.

    Now everyone… open two windows and play both of these together with the sound on.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkWMVqCMj08

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=QvIrFCprYNQ

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102779
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    … even pianist have their lunatic composers. Check this out. If I did this at work, I’m sure someone would call 911.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkWMVqCMj08

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102755
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    David,

    I haven’t laughed that hard in years! It kind of reminds me of “Kolors With A ‘K'” at the WHC in Switzerland six years ago.

    If the “artistic director” or someone with influence from WHC is reading this, I’d like to make a suggestion that for one conference, staff members of academia are ineligible to create new music, and candidates must have actual commercial credentials composing music to participate.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102753
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    WE’RE NOT ALONE!!!!

    Check out this new music for trombone!

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=QvIrFCprYNQ

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102742
    Christian Frederick
    Participant

    David Ice said:

    >>But (and this is my own opinion) I have to wonder if sometimes,

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 182 total)