harpcolumn

Michel Legrand on Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Michel Legrand on Harp

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    laura-stokes
    Participant

I was wondering if there are any arrangements of the music of Michel Legrand for harp.

joan-steinberg
    Participant

Hello, I don’t know of many harp arrangements of Michel Legrand’s

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I have absolutely no idea of what these are like, but a simple search on “cherbourg” over at harp.com produced this:

http://us.harp.com/info/products/pact_show/id_19415133/

Christian Frederick
    Participant

I’m a Michel Legrand junkie. He’s my favorite composer ever! Right now I’m in the process of learning (memorizing) all the songs from the movie Yentl.

His music interprets very well on piano. But…… unless you are very advanced on the harp, his music, in general, is VERY difficult on harp because of multiple key changes, very often several in one bar. He does not go around the circle of fifths (which is easy on the harp), but rather goes from flat keys to sharp keys from beat to beat. His music can sound very clunky on the harp, even for very advanced harpists.

laura-stokes
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I think I might get the Yashneva book.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Let us know how you like it, if you do.

David Ice
    Participant

Alla Yashneva is a good friend of mine and a great harpist.

laura-stokes
    Participant

I got the book, the arrangement is very nice, it is only two pages but is very true to the score and it is easy to elaborate.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Michel Legrand made an arrangement of many of his themes for harp and orchestra. it’s been recorded by Catherine Michel(I’ve got it here someplace. I’ll try to find it). I don’t know if these arrangements have been published or not. If so, maybe they could be adapted for solo harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

The Salvi Pop Harp Series have two arrangements of Michel Legrand’s music.

don-hilsberg
    Participant

The arrangements for harp and orchestra that Carl speaks of were done for Catherine by

B Y
    Participant

Yea, those are not published…but I think Mrs. Michel plans to do more recordings in the future…so maybe something will be published??

Kathleen Elarte
    Participant

Catherine Michel the great French harpist is married to Michel Legrand.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.