harpcolumn

Mildred Dilling on youtube

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Mildred Dilling on youtube

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

It is commonly accepted in most schools of harp playing that the right wrist can touch the soundboard but the left arm should not, Maria. That’s pretty usual.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Barbara- I checked the pitch(at Geraldine’s suggestion) to see if the whole thing had been speeded up. But the pitch was correct.

lisa-green
    Participant

Love the drape off her shoulders. Looks like angel wings!

tony-morosco
    Participant

That was very impressive. Wow, she really knew her way around the harp, that’s for sure.

I actually noticed the

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Thanks, Carl.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

BTW, Carl, congrats on this clip being the HC youtube pick of the month.

harp guy
    Participant

It still looks to me like it was sped up, but not by a lot. We must remember that over time, the standard pitch frequency has gone up. And, it is also very easy (and possible with primitive recording equipment) to speed up a recording without influencing the pitch that much.

Just watch her left forearm. No one naturally moves like that. I think it has been editted with time purposes in mind.

GREAT video though. I love how at ease she looks. Truly inspirational.

Christian Frederick
    Participant

Thanks for sharing Carl. I’ve learned more in my musical life by watching and listening to great performers, more than any lesson(s) and more than any one teacher could ever teach me.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Where can I get the music for the last piece she plays?

Maria Myers
    Participant

Barbara,

Is there an advantage to resting one arm on the board but not the other?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

From any store that sells pedal harp music. Follets by Hasselmans is a very standard work. Don’t ask for “Fireflies”, though. That’s her invention, probably because they thought “Will-o’-the-wisp” (the actual translation of the title) wouldn’t be understood.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

As a matter of fact, you can see the first page at harp.com:

http://us.harp.com/info/products/pact_show/id_19395226/

carl-swanson
    Participant

Barbara- I’m glad you pointed out the HC pick. I would have missed that.

It would be interesting to try slowing it down slightly and see what it looks like. I may try that at some point. When my friend uploaded it to youtube, he initially tried to do it at a higher resolution. But that didn’t work. It still looks pretty good though and you can clearly see how her hands work.

I chose to put the whole film up there intact and not edit it down to just the playing. When she gave her recitals(thousands of them!) she always talked to the audience between pieces, and I think it is interesting to see her presence and hear her voice here. It’s a good indication of what she must have been like on stage.

Tacye
    Participant

The Thomas is missing the first (of the two) variations and all the repeats (the temptation to leave out Thomas’ repeats is very frequently irresistible).

Maria Myers
    Participant

Actually, anyone who knows the answer to my question about Mildred’s technique is welcome to chime in…

Is there an advantage to resting one arm on the board but not the
    other?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies