harpcolumn

The most idiotic comments at gigs

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists The most idiotic comments at gigs

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Ah yes, using the harp in music therapy…

Oh Jennifer, I’ve never had a spear thrown at me, but I’ve had some other things thrown at me.

tony-morosco
    Participant

“not only can I play them, but I could probably teach a retarded monkey to play them.”

OK, that was the best laugh I have had all day. Thanks.

kay-lister

Mark, I love your comments.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

You know Mark, I had a similar experience with a director once.

Christian Frederick
    Participant

This is a little different. It’s not a comment at a gig, so maybe it should be another thread.

It was April 1984. I called my parents to tell them I had just rented a harp and was going to learn how to play the harp. The first thing that came out of my father’s mouth was “ONLY SISSIES PLAY THE HARP!”. It was at that precise moment that I realized that I no longer needed my father’s approval, and that it was a good thing that I was living in Florida and my parents lived in California. Other than knowing what buttons to push to control people, my father was charming, generous, and the life of a party (Carl… I’m sure you can relate to this personality trait).

So, almost 24 years have gone by. My dad has passed away, and I’ve SUCCESSFULLY incorporated the harp into my long and successful musical career.

I’m a firm believer that life is ultimately about choices. We all have good and bad experiences in life, and we all have the free will and choice how to deal with every single thing, good or bad, that happens to us. We can choose to be happy or sad, and we can choose to be successful or become a victim.

unknown-user
    Participant

I like your attitude, Josiah, very true regarding our emotional connection to our instruments.

unknown-user
    Participant

Actually, I came across a guy who wasn’t drunk (which is worse) when he asked me if I was the girl that was abducted in Utah that plays the harp. He was clearly trying to be funny. I wanted to tell him off for his bad taste in comments, and I gave him a “you should be ashamed of yourself” type of look. I would say that’s the worst, most offensive thing I’ve had someone say to me.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Krista, if that guy referred to Elizabeth Smart, I would also say it is the worst and most offensive comment we’ve seen.

I’ve heard most of the comments mentioned, but not the one about removing the colored strings.

unknown-user
    Participant

Mel, Yes, it was Elizabeth Smart and she had just been found and it was on the news everywhere. Truly asinine comment.

unknown-user
    Participant

Since I play a lever harp, the worst comment I ever got was, “How is that different from a real harp?”

unknown-user
    Participant

Awesome response, Brook! Love it.

Okay Katie, I read your posts, and you said you are on Cape Cod, and then I remembered one of my former students who is now working on a doctorate in psychology (she was one of my voice students) got married on Cape Cod last summer and had a harpist. I asked her who the harpist was, and she gave me a link to the harpist’s website, and now I just checked it again, and lo and behold…..it was you. You played for Hillary and Nick last summer, correct? She said you were awesome. Hillary was a great kid. She was in my choirs in middle school and high school and was very intelligent and musical. She emailed me her wedding pics, and you are in

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

In this week, I heard from of flautist, who was doing a gig with another harpist long ago, that they were busy playing normal harp & flute gig music at a function, and a woman came up to them, and asked them why they were doing that.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies