harpcolumn

best pop harp player

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break best pop harp player

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I was recently asked the question, “Who is the best pop harp player?”

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Jan Jennings is certainly one of the very best. And the late, great Verlye Mills.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Oh, and Robert Maxwell–how could I forget?

carl-swanson
    Participant

There are, and have been, so many, and because their playing style is so personal and individual, I can’t use the word ‘best’ to describe any of them. I loved John Escosa, Jack Nebergal, Verlye Mills, Mimi Allen, Liza Re, of course Deborah Hansen-Conant, Park Stickney, Elenor Fell, Ray Pool, Jan Jennings, and so many others. I love them all.

Casper Reardon, and Ruth Berman Harris, to be sure. I have never heard anyone approach what they did. If their music had been available long ago, I think everyone would be playing differently. Miss Lawrence endorsed Verlye Mills in every sense.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Gail Laughton must have been an incredible harpist too.

kreig-kitts

I’m not familiar with most of these names, but I don’t agree with the classification of Park Stickney

tony-morosco
    Participant

Well,

tony-morosco
    Participant

Sorry, I meant to say, most music is, or was, pop music at one point.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Kreig,

Perhaps the best moniker for Park Stickney is “eclectic”…..he plays everything from ragtime to jazz to Hawaiian ukelele music to heavy metal tunes (anybody else play tunes

kreig-kitts

I don’t think it’s subdivision to think that Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis, and Chick Corea belong to

john-strand
    Participant

Verlye Mills had incredible chops – Mimi Allen

Christian Frederick
    Participant

I can’t believe that nobody mentioned the name of, what I believe to be the quintessential “pop” harpist alive,

tony-morosco
    Participant

“I don’t think it’s subdivision to think that Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis, and Chick Corea belong to

Sorry, I must correct someone. Classical was never the pop music of its day, in our sense. There was folk music, ballads, romances and dance music all along. Familiar themes from classical music and the most famous classical pieces made it into home music-making as long as that was popular. The romance genre is the closest classical historically got to being popular, in my view. One of the most famous romances is “Plaisir d’Amour”, and if you think about the melody with a simple arpeggiated accompaniment suitable to piano, harp or guitar, you can see how it blended into pop ballads and Broadway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies