Alison

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 489 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Playing blues on the harp #113524
    Alison
    Participant

    so whilst you are waiting for the books, have you managed to try out the pedal settings and just play anything you want, and research the same blue scales on the www. I had a friend who played jazz and blues on piano. Surely you must be able to find somebody in der nahe von Ihnen.

    Alison
    Participant

    sure .

    in reply to: Music for harp and e-bass? #113527
    Alison
    Participant

    wow yeah I reckon jamming some blues with a loud bass guitar, or a beefy amp would be great way to spend a few hours in a dim Ratskeller in winter, even better with an e-harp (would that be an electric harp), the L&H Rainbow or any Camac blues harp even or any electric lever harp, like the Scottish play hmmm you are getting me interested all over again…… I really wanted one a few years ago and spent a merry hour or so in the Camac factory showroom in rural France drooling over their big blue. Jakez was busy loading up for an exhibition so I was lucky they’d left that standing…
    Sid any chance you could take me to Las Vegas I’ll give you another $25….. for another harp and a bigger house, BTW I am deadly serious, no sarcasms intended, just woke up with a sense of humour today…….
    maybe I’ll put on DebHC’s CDs, haven’t listened to them for ages,,, really good if you haven’t got them, check them out , some from the 90’s like Budapest and Naked Music. I”ll have to dig them out again.

    in reply to: Playing blues on the harp #113518
    Alison
    Participant

    Maybe check out Camac’s & Jakez’s resources and Park Stickney’s. I think its fun to set the pedals into the blues scale and then jam like that…. either V-^|VV-V or V-V|VV-V ,
    I think but I haven’t done this for ages and to be honest I haven’t had any instruction in blues only jazz.

    and there are jazz and blues chord books I keep handy, would that help ?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blues-Chords-Youll-Ever-Need/dp/0711977704/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393281644&sr=1-1&keywords=keyboard%2C+blues+chords

    in reply to: Lever harps for beginners (UK) – looking for advice #78080
    Alison
    Participant

    Suggest you correspond with Danielle Di in Cambridge-she went thro’ this process last year. The Hempson is on legs and its base is not stable on the floor without the legs.

    in reply to: Looking for free scheduling app #113506
    Alison
    Participant

    You could easily rig up a database and forms (input) with MS-Access on your PC, or do you want an APP on a phone/i-pad ?

    in reply to: help…string keeps breaking #78074
    Alison
    Participant

    another thread on this forum talked about emery string, but maybe that’s not helpful, try a sleeve of paper or cloth as a temporary measure if you mean the hole of the tuning pin. Or retract the pin and file it smooth, but you’ll need a very small file, take it to the hardware store,,,,, or ask Carl, he’ll know….

    in reply to: Prius V + Tall Person + Concert Grand Harp #113493
    Alison
    Participant
    in reply to: Totally NOT harp related #113475
    Alison
    Participant

    What Patricia writes makes perfect sense, think about Stradivari, starting his business in Cremona, a locality where the wood was perfect for his instruments and how wood swells and shrinks even in the same place over the course of the year, due to changes in temperature and humidity/wetness, ( I went to the Strad exhibition in Oxford during the summer and they are remarkable instruments). I know my windows are noticeably tighter in the winter when the frames have swelled – and as for the metal work – brass is susceptible to rust, perhaps exacerbated by salty air. Are the pins and linkages steel ? Steel also rusts, by the way but not stainless steel.

    Alison
    Participant

    It’s Barbara’s so I have asked her to send it onto you, there were just a couple of fingering corrections a few days ago, and I’m not the master owner.

    in reply to: Is there no honor in email agreements? #62843
    Alison
    Participant

    I always ask clients print to my form (they can choose to complete it by hand or type into before printing, in fact I get them started before I send it) and send me the printed hardcopy, so that I have a paper copy from them and – this way I save the effort of printing myself and I have something for the day and the address/directions !!

    Alison
    Participant

    Yes indeed – so I’ve sent you Barbara Fackler’s version of the entire harp part which she gave me when I was desperate in 2009 and we finalised it into a really good result including corrections to the 2003 part from the score. It is an extraordinary composition and such a wonderful discovery – but VW wrote the harp part in ‘voices’ and I found it too difficult to read into two handfuls. I am listening to it again – wow. We had a thread before…… http://www.harpcolumn.com/forums/professional-harpists/posts/56329
    The [?] up right is a pdf of an excerpt from a book on VW with the background to the work, from bottom of 2nd real page.

    in reply to: Wear pants to play a wedding? #62830
    Alison
    Participant

    I’d never wear black nor trousers to a wedding (your word pants resonates badly over here!). I have plenty of black attire for orchestra but I like to indulge the fantasy (theirs) and wear something sutable for a party or evening wear as I have the sense that I am being paid to look special – I am sure it raises the game for the occasion and besides I like to feel equally as smart as the guests and mix in a little, away from the harp, during a break.

    in reply to: What a world ! #113412
    Alison
    Participant

    whenever things improve and you need a shipping trunk, I have one ready to go……. but in the UK

    in reply to: Piano parts on harp? #113370
    Alison
    Participant

    We all sympathise and know that you have you be firm and say No! Trust your own judgement and be a real harpie! The stupid thing here is that since so many people play the piano, he only had to ask around the orchestra and I bet he could have found someone to play willingly. I have turned down genuine harp jobs with too short notice and taken on others with a sense of bravado, but always take a professional stance even as an amateur. If they thrust an extra work at you, or you deputise at the last minute, they have to understand the risks…

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 489 total)