harpcolumn

Totally NOT harp related

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Totally NOT harp related

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

So, where are you and are you up to your . . . pedals in snow? We got another 6 or so inches last night and it’s in the single digits here on the Eastern Shore of MD. Sure is pretty though!

Kay 😉

Angela Biggs

Western NH, and we’ve only had one big snow this year. 🙁 We’re dealing with all the freezing cold, but no fun & pretty snow, just ice two inches deep covering the sidewalks!

Sylvia
    Participant

I’m blessed to be in deep South TX. We were supposed to have sleet and possible snow last nite, but it was rain, I’m not disappointed. I came from central Illinois (ice storms…ugh) many years ago, so I know what snow and ice are like. That’s why I’m here!

It actually did snow here back about 7-8 yrs ago, and everyone was making snowballs, but it melted off pretty fast.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Here in Boston it’s very cold(single digits) but not much snow. By the way, this is one of the driest winters I can remember in terms of humidity(or lack of it!) in the house. I have two 5 gallon humidifiers in my living room, and I have to fill both of them every other day. Anyone who is in these very cold areas, you absolutely have to humidify the room where the harp is. If you don’t, contact me in the spring to schedule repairs!!!

eliza-morrison
    Participant

We’ve had an unusually snowy winter so far in southeastern Pennsylvania. It’s also been by far the coldest winter in all of my 26 years here. Temps have dipped into single digits often, and even sub-zero a couple of times. That’s extremely rare here. Regarding Carl’s comment, I have a humidifier going at all times in the room where my instruments are, and it’s struggling to keep ahead of the dryness. Usually I have 50% humidity in that room, lately it’s been closer to 40%.

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Well, I am on the central coast of California, and we’re in a very severe drought. We’ve had temps near 80 degrees quite often, and not a drop of rain in sight. Everyone is panicking about water and fire danger. Fortunately, my humidity monitor in my music room is saying that the humidity for my harps has been fine! So send any of that unwanted precipitation our way! We need it!

Angela Biggs

Eliza, I’m in the exact same situation with humidity. But — only a couple of months until spring! 🙂

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Here in Central Florida, we’ve had some cold weather, but that means down to 40 or 50 degrees F.

andee-craig
    Participant

I am jealous of all the snow back home! I’m now in the north of England and it’s been the wettest year since they’ve been keeping records–that’s wet with rain, not snow!

kay-lister

Just crazy isn’t it? Today it’s a big whopping 4 degrees! Saturday it’s supposed to get up to 54! What a rollercoaster winter it’s been!

Allison Stevick
    Participant

I live in east Scotland right now, and I’m LOVING the wind and rain (and relative warmth) here, compared to what my home in Iowa is getting right now… Below zero with dangerously cold windchills. Yuck!

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Down in the south of England we’re also up to our knees in rain. I’m one of the lucky ones living at the top of a hill but some people have been wearing wellies indoors for a month now.

Sylvia
    Participant

Actually, it occurred to me that this subject IS harp related…if someone is moving their harp to go play somewhere. I wonder how many weddings were postponed because of all that weather up north!

iris-linkletter
    Participant

We have been snowed in and snowed on quite enough for my tastes. It has also been bitter bitter cold this winter which even for us in Canada is very unusual, Prince Edward Island where I live is usually cold and dustings of snow not so this year not so at all.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Even though I have a performance on Feb 22, I’ve changed out all my strings (it was that time for the whole harp, yuk). 5th oct E has been replaced 3 times and 3rd oct D has been replaced 4 times.The weather here has fluctuated between 70 degrees and 15 degrees every week for the past 3 weeks which is wreaking havoc on the strings. I know it’s risky to do this so close to a performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies