Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Alison
ParticipantWas suddenly reminded of Harpo’s tricks in the Big Store – unrivalled surely !!
I love it.
http://youtube/bPAQYfYmW1AAlison
ParticipantWeren’t all Welsh instruments (such as Nansi Richard’s) played on the left shoulder, the neck of the harp having the opposite twist to Erards etc. That was the norm from bygone days which only died out with the players of that era, or possibly the triple harps are built that way still. So what happened since 2005 Mark? Did you stick at the changeover ? I’m sure you could play figures with any hand but there would be some automatic actions you might not be able to eliminate especially in complex pieces & parts and the way separate hands learn to jump around. I can’t imagine having to reverse my hands in Debussy’s 1st Arabesque or Faure’s Impromptu with so many counter rythmns, besides which, wouldn’t new pupils be better off adopting the current convention which is transferable to/from the piano with the bass in the left hand, the treble in the right . Here’s an example of an automatic motor skill that proved fatal …… http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/10034351.OAP_dies_after_losing_control_of_modified_car__inquest_told/
Surprising to discover that it was Nansi Richards suggestion of the cockerel on Kellogg’s cornflakes, according to Wiki….
April 16, 2014 at 9:53 am in reply to: How to go about renting a harp for an event in Cheshire, England? #78276Alison
Participantyou could seek out a teacher or amateur player willing to lend you a lever harp for the afternoon, unfortunately I am in the South. The nearest shop is probably the Early Music Shop in Bradford, perhaps your host could investigate.
Alison
Participantvery useful reading, so it’s okay to offer a new beginner the nail clippers and send them outside to do the deed…. I had this predicament recently only the lady has MS and I didn’t think it fair to force her to get up again and hobble outside, her nails were so long there was no way she could pluck properly and follow thro, but she acknowledged the need and offered to get rid of them. Yesterday I started another young girl who’s already learning guitar, but thankfully she keeps relatively short nails, I think she’s plucking guitar with finger tips, we’ll see.
Back to the original problem – I can’t see how you can make any progress with a pupil who likes long polished nails – the length and polish surface obstructs the placing of a finger too and she’ll never develop an accurate technique.Alison
Participantwith 45 or so strings I immediately thought that the size of the Ogden, which I saw today. is an excellent starter harp for an adult beginner, with modern styling. I didn’t try it though, except with one finger facing the wrong way, perhaps as you say the tension is for an experienced player.
Alison
ParticipantI would always introduce the Nutcracker cadenza first, but assuming you are familiar with that and not looking for a concerto cadenza …. this is tricky and pretty, quite a stretch for the RH: a ‘cadenza’ within the Saint-Saens Fantasie for Harp and Violin, the score seems to be on imslp, on pages 13,14 and just into 15. The page turn was maddening on my original part.
Alison
ParticipantIf this is in an orchestral part, and there are many in Mahler, the ballets etc, you have to work out the fingerings and then work at it until you can remember it all by heart, it doesn’t really matter about vibrating strings when you replace the left hand, you’ll learn how to place accurately. If you can’t place 4321 accurately yet in 1st and 2nd inversions then work out where you can get away with 321, without too many hands on the way up/down. Ideally finish with RH at the top so that your left can move down again, or for the turnaround at the top, all a matter of preference, but generally it all comes with experience. If you are getting behind, make sure you hit the first beat and don’t overrun.
March 24, 2014 at 10:39 am in reply to: Debussy’s Beau Soir…can it successfully be rewritten for 7 flats? #62245Alison
ParticipantSo is your question simply to play the harp part in Fb major, leaving the other players unchanged, without any transposition; I don’t think that was obvious at first, or was it into Cb major ?
Whilst I don’t know Beau Soir at all, from what I’ve read above I would say that the suggestion simply to drop it one semitone into Eb is probably the best – recalling that Debussy’s 1st Arabesque for piano is in E major and the harp transcription by Renie or Salzedo is in Eb – (will check my facts) – and this way it is possible to play straight from the original sheet music, knowing that accidentals # on the original is a natural on the harp, similarly a natural accidental becomes a flat – so the players could do the same on their parts and change the key signature.
http://imslp.org/wiki/Beau_soir_(Debussy,_Claude)http://imslp.org/wiki/2_Arabesques_(Debussy,_Claude)
Will the brightness of the key change ? The harp is supposedly more melancholy in flats, I wonder if anybody notices, or the mood drops.
Alison
Participantwell it’s not the most expensive harp I’ve ever seen !! I saw the “royal harp” up close recently…..
Alison
ParticipantHmm thanks 94 pages is quite long for a tone poem score, but I see there’s very few measures to a page – think I have a recording handy.
Alison
ParticipantI think it’s more difficult for women if you are wearing a strappy dress to perform in, then your body cools and you have no chance of keeping your hands warm. Is it better when wearing sleeves or bolero ? I make sure I am warm enough in orchestra or weddings.
Alison
ParticipantI was just reading John Marson’s obituary and noticed that, in his thorough and idiosyncratic way, he analysed all 2187 pedal settings (that’s 3 to the power 7) and it’s entitled The Complete Guide to Harp Glissandi, so perhaps I will search that online next….! and the conclusion is that it was published in 1966 by Lyra.
I doubt they are all useful, but I guess there are some interesting sounds !
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2007/may/31/guardianobituaries.obituaries2Alison
ParticipantAn E-Type Jaguar, with an original mascot. It’s a fantasy, but the truth is my grandfather was a sculptor and car marques designer and created the original angular version for the jag mascot, oh and sold his patent to them.
Alison
ParticipantYou sound mature and discerning enough to need an adequately sized instrument with good sound – do not forgo the advantages of a pedal harp in your plans… The Camac harps are probably better value and somw are strung with a choice of gut and nylon and you might prefer gut.
How’s your French, is it good enough to look locally and on the French websites for second hand instruments (a l’occasion) ??Alison
ParticipantI went to a catholic wedding in France and yes it was long, with communion, but actually when you are one of the guests, surrounded by family, it’s much more emotional, the focus was on the bridal couple with little or no instrumental music but perhaps more anthems and vocal/organ works which I like to discover.
-
AuthorPosts