harpcolumn

Playing blues on the harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Playing blues on the harp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anja G
    Participant

Hello everybody 🙂
    I am interested in playing blues on the harp – could anyone recommend me a book or online course (I didn`t know before about Deborah Henson-Conant`s course last year, and thete is no course offered on her web site at the moment)?
    I would be grateful for answers!
    Thank you and best wishes
    Anja

Alison
    Participant

Maybe check out Camac’s & Jakez’s resources and Park Stickney’s. I think its fun to set the pedals into the blues scale and then jam like that…. either V-^|VV-V or V-V|VV-V ,
    I think but I haven’t done this for ages and to be honest I haven’t had any instruction in blues only jazz.

and there are jazz and blues chord books I keep handy, would that help ?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blues-Chords-Youll-Ever-Need/dp/0711977704/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393281644&sr=1-1&keywords=keyboard%2C+blues+chords

jessica-wolff
    Participant

There’s one I picked up at Vancouver 2011. Will check it out. It has instrux for LEVER harp, believe it or not.

You could try this book.
    http://www.folkharp.com/lesson-material/2987-learn-how-to-play-blues-on-your-harp.html
    Verlene Schermer’s book “Cool Chords and Groovy Rhythms” also has a section on the blues.

Anja G
    Participant

Dear Alison, Jenniger and Jessica – thank you very much for your answers!
    @ Jennifer – I already checked the book and am able to buy it here in Germany, thanks again!
    @ Jessica – It would be great if you could find aout the book title – great that is has instructions for lever harp!
    @ Alison – thanks for giving me the pedal positions. I think though I have to start really at the beginning – I am not able to just jam and don`t really know much about blue scales – concerning blues on the harp I am a total beginner… I looked up the book and can as well order this in germany, what I`ll do, thanks!

Learn how to play blues on your harp from I. Mac Perry.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Anja! Apparently the only ones who know where that book is are the cats, who overturned a pile of books in the back room. Sorry!

Alison
    Participant

so whilst you are waiting for the books, have you managed to try out the pedal settings and just play anything you want, and research the same blue scales on the www. I had a friend who played jazz and blues on piano. Surely you must be able to find somebody in der nahe von Ihnen.

Anja G
    Participant

@ Jessica – hope the cats have fun with your books 😉
    @ Elizabeth – Thanks a lot!
    @ Alison – to be honest – I treid with the pedals, but I don`t know what to play, I might need a few lessons in blues harping, unfortunately my teacher doesn`t do this – but I keep trying (I admire everyone like you who can “just jam” like this!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.