unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,681 through 4,695 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Kit Harps, how good are they? #161481
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If you go with one of the reputable kit makers, you can get very
    good results.

    in reply to: Harp preferences? #167881
    unknown-user
    Participant

    ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157810
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am 59 and have always been really bothered by cracked fingertips in the winter. I tried everything that everyone mentioned. Nothing ever helped. I type and can’t wear band aids. They don’t help anyway. Last year a woman I work with had cracked feet and had surgery. They gave her Ammonium Lactate Lotion 12% and she gave me some. I would dip my fingers in this throughout the day and for the first winter in ages they actually healed. I believe this name is the generic name for it. It can be bought online. There are many nerves in the ends of our fingers and toes and the cracks really hurt. I am going to ask my Doctor when I have my check up for a prescripton and it will be even cheaper. I paid about 20.00 for 8 Oz and it was worth every penny.

    in reply to: Salzedo versus Grandjany? #166864
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The way ive been taught by my teacher is to take the best things about different techniques (grandjany, renie and salzedo, mainly) and form a cohesive technique that works wonderfully. its really more of a well rounded technique, rather than being 2-dimensionally salzedo or renie, etc.

    -steve

    in reply to: Understanding harp design #71748
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have a copy of Folk Harps by Gildas Jaffrennou and could have a copy made as a bound book for around $60 plus shipping which would come to around $15 (as I live in Japan). Let me know. –Don Kenny

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111114
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve always wondered what they do with those harps that are used in films anyway??

    in reply to: Kit Harps, how good are they? #161478
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Jeremy

    I’m afraid I can’t comment on kit harps, but you might check out Denwar harps in Australia http://www.harpsales.com/ (although at time of posting the site wasn’t responding). There are some excellent comments about his harps on this board.

    Also try Harps & Harps who are in NSW. They have a very comprehensive website http://www.harps.com.au/ and stock a good range including Camac harps. I have just acquired a Camac pedal harp which I love, but have heard great things about their lever harps too and may consider one in the future. I also find their UK prices very reasonable at the moment and the euro/pound exchange is not especially favourable.

    I’m sure you will get plenty of comments about building harps too – hope this is a useful alternative suggestion! Good luck, Jen

    in reply to: Kit Harps, how good are they? #161479
    unknown-user
    Participant

    From experiences of the harpers in my area, I haven’t heard very good feedback about Kit Harps.
    If your wife is /wants to be serious about the harp I would keep searching.. if it is a romantic gesture /gift a Kit Harp would be fine.
    I’m pretty sure that harps are duty free..

    in reply to: Looking for Best Harp Teacher in Bay Area, CA region #167902
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I would just buy a harp with an embedded c.d. player and play any album by Richard Veit Alice Chalifoux whilst pretending to play the harp.

    in reply to: Laura Erb “Pop Harp” Book #145371
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi,
    Well, somewhere in one of the boxes in my house is my collection of harp music from the 60s and 70s, when I was a student of Laura Erb’s.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157809
    unknown-user
    Participant

    A few months ago, I posted a message about a problem I was having with cracked, painful, splitting and bleeding fingers…someone answered me with a recipe for a comfrey poultice that they used on a friend who sustained 2nd degree chemical burns on their hands…if you’re out there, can you please send me the recipe again? I’ve lost your Email and I made the poultice, but I’m not sure that I did it right…
    Thanks!

    in reply to: Bad teacher? #89224
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have been stopping in to read messages from time to time and now I need to getting around to saying thank you to everyone who posted.

    I did end up switching teachers.

    in reply to: Russian Lunacharsky Harps… pedal, 46 strings… #146738
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am an ignoramous about harps, but I have a daughter who apparently is very good at playing them, and has a career of harp playing if she wishes… we need to make the investment now.

    in reply to: Waring Harps…need answers! #68861
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I don’t know about the Waring Harps, but I have known lap dulcimers made of wood and carboard that are really quite sturdy. But, I know from experience that the harpscicles and sharpsicles are extremely hardly and have a wonderful sound.

    in reply to: Horngacher harp #146129
    unknown-user
    Participant

    When I played in a German orchestra in the 80’s, the orchestra provided an older Obermeyer and a newer Lyon & Healy. I always chose the Obermeyer for symphonic and solo performances because of its wonderful sound. I haven’t heard newer Horngacher harps — perhaps you could find a used one for your orchestra.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,681 through 4,695 (of 5,570 total)